Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol tank cover just fell off

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I was driving along happy as Laurence and the car behind started flashing me. So I pulled over and found that my petrol tank cover door had fallen off. There's a sort of a cover there now, and it still opens and locks as normal, it's just the door part that's gone. I still have it. Can I just glue it back on myself - the car is due a service in about a months time, there's no harm in leaving it out til then? The cap is still on and I don't see any way a determined thief can get at my precious precious petrol...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

corblimey wrote: »
    I was driving along happy as Laurence and the car behind started flashing me. So I pulled over and found that my petrol tank cover door had fallen off. There's a sort of a cover there now, and it still opens and locks as normal, it's just the door part that's gone. I still have it. Can I just glue it back on myself - the car is due a service in about a months time, there's no harm in leaving it out til then? The cap is still on and I don't see any way a determined thief can get at my precious precious petrol...

Sure petrol is so reasonably priced and todays petrol stations are such an important part of the community spirit that you shouldn't worry about such things like petrol being stolen.

Sure can't you just drop into your local station, be greeted with a smile, slip on a nice coffee and donut while all your motorings needs are put right by the thoughtful staff. Not to mention your helping the honest hardworking (and rather dashing) owner to book his summer holidays before the missus batters him.

Just my two cents worth as a regular member of the motoring public*

*Hammertime sneaks out of thread before he gets rumbled....

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Just as a matter of interest, the car isnt a Ford Focus by any chance? Its just that I have noticed a lot of them with the colour coded outer part missing with the black backing left......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Hammertime wrote: »
    slip on a nice coffee and donut.

Then bang in a claim and drive around for a few years on free petrol, courtesy of Hammertime's shoddy housekeeping!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest, the car isnt a Ford Focus by any chance? Its just that I have noticed a lot of them with the colour coded outer part missing with the black backing left......

Yes it is! Now tell me my reg and you can have it! So it's known issue with Focii? Good to know, I'll see if the garage can do anything when I drop it in, but I won't worry about it too much if it's affecting others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Same thing in my case, mine hasn't fallen off yet though.

Will you post here when you get a price for repair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

corblimey wrote: »
    Yes it is! Now tell me my reg and you can have it! So it's known issue with Focii? Good to know, I'll see if the garage can do anything when I drop it in, but I won't worry about it too much if it's affecting others

I should be chuffed with myself that I guessed right but on the other hand it shows how much of a car nerd I am. If you do a trawl on a Ford specific forum website you may find a fix to stop it happening again. It is more than likely a design flaw.

PS I don't want to put your reg number on a public forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Invest in a tube of superglue, perhaps? Or is it not that straighforward?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

the car isnt a Ford Focus by any chance? I

The petrol door hinge broke on my '05 Focus, and the whole thing once fell off in the dark on the M1. I had recently acquired said automobile in used condition and garage fixed it under warranty.

It never fails to astonish how a pretty decent car can be designed without a proper hinge on the petrol door, something that wasn't a problem on any car in the last 50 years.

Advertisement