Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VPN problem

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

I posted this in the computers and technology forum but may get better response here.

I setup a VPN between 2 offices. It authenticates no problem but cannot map drives or VNC to PCs on the remote side. Both sides had the same IP range but I changed this so they have 10.0.1.x and this side has 10.0.0.x. If I go to www.whatismyip.com it shows the remote IP. ipconfig gives

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.110
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.100

PPP adapter [remoteDomain]:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.207
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.1.207

I tried mapping drives and remote desktop using both ip address and computer name.
    I got someone outside this office to connect and they had no problems so there is some problem or compatibility issue on this side. Theres no software firewall on my PC.
    Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 mmcm888

The problem is your subnet mask - It should be 255.255.255.0 on the LAN adapters on each network. The subnet mask is used to identify which part of the Ip address identifies the network and which part identifies the host.

In your case (255.0.0.0) the network is 10.x.x.x so that both the PPP & LAN are in the same network.
    Setting the mask to 255.255.255.0 on each side creates two networks (10.0.0.x and 10.0.1.x) so you can route from on enwtrok to the other.

NOTE: all devices on each LAN need to use the same subnet mask

Maurice

Advertisement