Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sensor Cleaning in Dublin

• 08-01-2009 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just this week I've noticed some dark spots on some of my pictures which I attribute to dust on the sensor. It's my first DSLR and I wouldn't be comfortable with cleaning it myself so I rang Conns who charge €50 for a dry clean and €100 for a wet clean. These seem a tad steep to myself or are they about right?

Is there anywhere else in town that can clean the sensor and do you know prices?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

As far as I know, they're all around a similar price.

Image Supply Systems in Dublin do it too, and I think they charge €65 for a sensor cleaning.

If you do a search on boards, you should find some other threads about sensor cleaning, and maybe some costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Paulw wrote: »
    As far as I know, they're all around a similar price.

Image Supply Systems in Dublin do it too, and I think they charge €65 for a sensor cleaning.

If you do a search on boards, you should find some other threads about sensor cleaning, and maybe some costs.

Thanks Paul, I did a search last night and found several threads but no mention of cost. Hmmm €50 when a rocket blower goes for about €15. Should I as a relative newb give it a shot? I've looked at a few videos on YouTube and a dry clean doesn't look too difficult...... or am I wrong?

Buy a rocket blower and try it.

Just make sure not to touch the sensor or any other delicate parts. Blowing air with a rocket blower should blow any dust clear.

Of course, there will be times when you can't blow the dust, and then need some sensor swabs and cleaning solution.

If the dirt is bad and won't blow, you may be better off just paying the cost of cleaning, or ask a friendly boards member to clean it for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Lots of threads on this subject. If you do a search you'll find the likes of this which suggests the cost is fairly accurate.
    Should I as a relative newb give it a shot?

To me (and i don't think i'll be a majority of 1 on this), its worth giving it a basic go yourself.

I had a "dirt on sensor" issue just once (thankfully). I bought a €10 (i think) giottos rocket blower on eBay and a cleaning kit another (€10) from camera store in liffey valley. Get a reasonably sized rocket blower - they can come very small and frankly there is more air coming from a sneeze (resisted the temptation to be rude there) than a small rocket blower.

First thing is don't be afraid of looking inside the camera. Nothing there will bite (unless you are living in the twilight zone - do de do do, do de do do - ok. back on topic).

Make sure you've a fully charged set of batteries in place and use the mirror up function to reveal the sensor. Fascinating stuff really.

I initially had myself convinced that it was a problem with a particular lens but when I looked in I could see a minute spec which didn't want to shift. A spec visible to the naked eye is a large rock on your developed image.

With the rocket blower in hand I worked at it for probably about 20 minutes before it shifted (including testing when i thought i'd cleared it but hadn't).

You won't break anything as long as you don't use the rocket blower as a shovel :rolleyes:

Just be careful that it is a fairly new rocket blower - apparently the latex on them can break down over time although I can't vouch for that. Eitherways I think it was stcstc who suggested to give it a good few blasts into open air before using it incase anything is trapped inside waiting to get out.

I hadn't ever thought that I would be capable of doing *something so technical as that* but it was quite easy in the end.

Don't use any compressed air propellant - can contain particles / freeze the sh*te out of it, and generally be responsible for seeing grown men cry when their sensor never works again after it.

Even with trying it yourself you may of course end up with something that needs a more technical working thorough and still have to go to Conns or the like and fork out the €50 but many people have a go themselves - for the sake of €10 it might be worth it.

If youre stuck for a rocket blower and are in my part of the world you are welcome to have a loan of mine - i'm in Meath and Dublin daily.

I just had a closer look and it appears that there is quite a bit of dust on the mirror. Would this affect image quality? I'm not sure as I know the mirror flips up when you take an image. Secondly I know some cameras have an option to flip the mirror up but I don't see that in my cameras settings (Pentax K100D Super). Would it flip up manually?

Thanks AnCatDubh, I appreciate your offer but sure for €15 or so I might as well invest in one myself.

My apologies for the questions folks.

• Advertisement

You've two things actually. I forgot you had the K100D Super. You have a dust removal feature in there somewhere which is always worth a try - though if there's lots of dust then it will probably need a blow out anyhow.

A mirror up feature will be there too. You'll have to explore the manual / menu system but it will be there. Just make sure your batteries are fully charged.

Dust on the mirror shouldn't particularly matter except that it can obviously work its way into the sensor area. The mirror will only effect what you are looking at through the viewfinder. When it flips to reveal the sensor it becomes irrelevant to the recorded image. Best to get it clean though.

Hmnn I have tried both options in the camera for dust removal and neither has been successful. I really can't see the option for mirror-up but I'll pour over the manual later and see what I find.

Thanks for your explanation of the mirror, that made lots of sense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There have been so many threads about Sensor Cleaning. Just wondering if we should try to organise a meet(s) sometime where a few who are comfortable with Sensor Cleaning can bring in their gear & the newer people who are scared can be shown how to do it under intsruction. Maybe a few yoyo's to cover the cost of Swabs & Fliud etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

CabanSail wrote: »
    There have been so many threads about Sensor Cleaning. Just wondering if we should try to organise a meet(s) sometime where a few who are comfortable with Sensor Cleaning can bring in their gear & the newer people who are scared can be shown how to do it under intsruction. Maybe a few yoyo's to cover the cost of Swabs & Fliud etc.
    I'd never have a problem with that, I'd feel far safer with one of you lot cleaning my Cameras a couple of times a year.

Dust on the mirror, while it won't effect the image, can end up being tossed around inside the camera and can then end up on the sensor.

Normally there is some function for manual sensor cleaning, which lifts the mirror. It's probably buried in the menu system.

• Advertisement

Ahhh yes I found the option. Right I'm off to Conns and will give it a whirl shortly or when I get home, I'll let you know how it goes.

I agree that a meet-up would be a great idea and appreciated.

I'm just after giving it a whirl there and it appears to be gone though I won't know for sure til later. Thanks for your help everybody.

As CabanSail mentioned a demonstration sounds like a good idea as while the rocket blower was grand I think personally I'd be terrified to wet clean the sensor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have started a thread in the Expeditions Board about a Sensor Cleaning meet-up.

The method I use to check my sensor for dust is;

Select Aperture Priority & the smallest Aperture available (Highest f#)
    Find a blank evenly lit surface, like a white wall or even the sky.
    Select Manual Focus & adjust so it is as far out of focus as possible (infinity or close)
    Take the Blank Photo at the highest res available.
    Download this image to Computer & examine the frame at it at 1:1
    Dust & dirt should show up clearly.

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have started a thread in the Expeditions Board about a Sensor Cleaning meet-up.

The method I use to check my sensor for dust is;

Select Aperture Priority & the smallest Aperture available (Highest f#)
    Find a blank evenly lit surface, like a white wall or even the sky.
    Select Manual Focus & adjust so it is as far out of focus as possible (infinity or close)
    Take the Blank Photo at the highest res available.
    Download this image to Computer & examine the frame at it at 1:1
    Dust & dirt should show up clearly.

Yeah, I actually did that too to test how the cleaning was progressing. Except i used the fridge door - meh, i did it at night so I didn't have the luxury of a clear blue or overcast sky :)

A good suggestion though.

Advertisement