Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a phone with GPS

• 08-01-2009 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

I currently use a Nokia E51, and am perfectly happy with it.
    However, I'd like something with built in GPS rather than having to use a dongle.
    I don't need anything advanced - I won't be using it in my car. I just need something simple that will allow me to do some geocaching, or find my way around while on foot.
    I'm finding it hard to tell which Nokia phones have GPS and which don't though - I can't really find this on their site.
    So which phones are there that would suit me?
    I'm looking for something the same size, price, and build quality as the E51.
    Most of the N phones are too expensive, and I don't a fancy mp3 player - my iPod is good enough.
    Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

Thanks, I didn't see that option hidden away on the Nokia site.
    Looks like my options are more limited than I thought.
    Looks like it's the 6220C, N78 or N79.
    The keypad on the N78 looks awful though, and the build quality on the 6220c doesn't seem the best.
    I guess I'll have to look around for an N79.
    The other ones are out of my price range - over €300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

fjon wrote: »
    Thanks, I didn't see that option hidden away on the Nokia site.
    Looks like my options are more limited than I thought.
    Looks like it's the 6220C, N78 or N79.
    The keypad on the N78 looks awful though, and the build quality on the 6220c doesn't seem the best.
    I guess I'll have to look around for an N79.
    The other ones are out of my price range - over €300.

I have the Nokia 6220 with 3 months and have no issues at all with it, granted its all plastic, but its brilliant. GPS is faster than my Garmin. Just use it for geo tagging and walking etc.

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    I have the Nokia 6220 with 3 months and have no issues at all with it, granted its all plastic, but its brilliant. GPS is faster than my Garmin. Just use it for geo tagging and walking etc.

That's good to hear because it ticks all the other boxes.
    I might just make the plunge.
    What's the keypad like for texting?

bedlam wrote: »
    If you can wait a little bit for it's Irish release, the Nokia 5800 will come in at under 300 and looks to be a pretty decent phone by all accounts.

Thread on it here

Yes, it does look pretty sweet. Definitely a contender. Hopefully there won't be too many bugs - haven't seen Nokia do a touch screen phone before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

fjon wrote: »
    That's good to hear because it ticks all the other boxes.
    I might just make the plunge.
    What's the keypad like for texting?

I find it fine, no problem at all, I've heard of complaints from other people, but I suspect they have shovels for hands and sausages for fingers. The keys are fairly flush so its a little different! The 6220 is basically a N95 without wifi and wrapped in a plastic shell.

I got mine for €29 on 3 with a €49 p/m contract, pretty good value.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Why not go with the E71? Good sized screen, excellent battery life, excellent features and excellent GPS

Advertisement