Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dual Boot XP & Windows 7 on two Hard Drives?

• 08-01-2009 1:59pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm really keen to try Windows 7. But I have some things on my computer that I doubt will work on Windows 7, so ideally I'd like to try to set up a dual boot arrangement. I have two hard drives in my computer, the 2nd is currently blank, so I'd like to try to install Windows 7 on that.

I have absolutely no idea how to go about this, or if it's even possible or feasible. Can anyone tell me if they have done this, and point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

All you have to do is boot from your windows 7 disc and select your second hdd as the place you want to install it. The install process is more streamlined than vista's. You will have a boot menu listing Windows 7 and another option called older version of windows which will be xp. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its actually warez atm, the official beta's not out yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I hope you are gonna edit that post tomorrow morning :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

jmccrohan wrote: »
    I hope you are gonna edit that post tomorrow morning :P

Course :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

All you have to do is boot from your windows 7 disc and select your second hdd as the place you want to install it. The install process is more streamlined than vista's. You will have a boot menu listing Windows 7 and another option called older version of windows which will be xp. hope this helps

Cool thanks a mil, I got it installed pretty simply, the dual boot workds great. I had a bit of trouble with my wireless but all good now.

Beats the pants off vista...

• Advertisement

Zascar wrote: »
    Cool thanks a mil, I got it installed pretty simply, the dual boot workds great. I had a bit of trouble with my wireless but all good now.

Beats the pants off vista...
    Any issues with mp3's & gaming ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

slightly similar question... have never done a dual boot before, but i also have two HDs however with Vista, and i have two partitions on each, so i have the OS on one disk, Program Files on another. will it be possible to just wipe one of the other partitions remaining and run it from there as described above, or would the whole disk would need to be given over to Windows 7?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

slightly similar question... have never done a dual boot before, but i also have two HDs however with Vista, and i have two partitions on each, so i have the OS on one disk, Program Files on another. will it be possible to just wipe one of the other partitions remaining and run it from there as described above, or would the whole disk would need to be given over to Windows 7?

Yep. What I'd do is put it on the 2nd partition on the hdd with Vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

PogMoThoin wrote: »

was for tech net and msdn users :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks I did not know about that mp3 thing. I have not played any music yet, and i'm not a gamer. I think I'll back up my music now before giving it a go.

The articles says that the official beta will be out in late Janruary. Will you be able to do an upgrade or will you have to reinstall does anyone know?

Thanks I did not know about that mp3 thing. I have not played any music yet, and i'm not a gamer. I think I'll back up my music now before giving it a go.

The articles says that the official beta will be out in late Janruary. Will you be able to do an upgrade or will you have to reinstall does anyone know?

Official beta is out later today. Keys will only be provided to the first 2.5million testers.

Cool cheers, any idea how to become one of the 2.5 million? Do you already have to be registered or will they just put up a link and close when full etc?

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=11410 - apparently it will stop working in August! Someone will probably find a workaround by then though.

Also worth reading: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=631

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Cool cheers, any idea how to become one of the 2.5 million? Do you already have to be registered or will they just put up a link and close when full etc?

http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/01/how-to-get-your.html

Thanks. Ok it says its Build 7000 - that's what i've already got installed. Is there any point in reinstalling with this one? Possibly the fact that it should have the mp3 problem fixed, but any others?...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

You'll need to download today (or at least register to download) to register for a key, otherwise you'll keep getting the nags and it'll eventually stop working - I've heard estimates of the expiration time being anything from 30-120 days.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Thanks. Ok it says its Build 7000 - that's what i've already got installed. Is there any point in reinstalling with this one? Possibly the fact that it should have the mp3 problem fixed, but any others?...

Nope. The 7000 build is the same as the 98xx version that was leaked in Dec. Once you register W7 then it downloads a patch to fix the mp3 problem.

Advertisement