Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the pros and cons of doing Arts in maynooth

• 08-01-2009 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I am a mature student and am trying to sort my preferences for the CAO application. I am interested in doing an Arts course so could current students please advise me on what the pros and cons of doing Arts in Maynooth are.

Thank you
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What arts subjects are you interested in? I did English and History in Maynooth, I thought it was an ok programme but it wasn't challenging until final year. Second year history was very hit and miss. Both topics were very simplistic in first year I thought. Arts is very much what you make of it though, the effort you put in will change how you look at the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

I'm an Anthropology and Sociology student, second year. If you don't feel like doing a lot of reading, stay away from the likes of those two, English, History etc.

What exactly is it you want to study?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 comebackkid

i like a few different subjects but im leaning towards these

history,geography,economics,languages-maybe spanish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

You know you do 3 in first year and 2 for 2nd and 3rd year unless you end up doing a single honours, yes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

I'm taking English, French and Geography, basically because I want to teach at secondary school level. Arts is perfect if you're looking for this kind of result.
    Be prepared for a lot of reading for subjects like English, History and geography to a certain extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

Depending on what modules you take in Geography in second year it can involve a s***load of reading, especially under Human Geography modules.

But it's interesting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭moggins7

in all fairness i think an arts degree from any college is worth about the same......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

i'm studying History as a double subject, with Nua Ghaeilge to keep me occupied for a year.

Can't say enough good things about the history department, saying that my class has less than 2 dozen people in it. Even in the larger general Arts classes the standard is top notch though.

The Irish Dept. is grand. As good as any other I looked into. I'm an Irish speaker killing a year to be honest, my eye is on history. If you're considering history, NUIM is the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Sound advice all round there!

As a few people have mentioned, a love of reading is essential for many Arts subjects. If you have to force yourself to trudge through the material then it's not for you.

History Dept. is indeed top notch, apart from a couple of breathtakingly boring lecturers. (Feel free to guess anyone? :p)

Make the most of the orientation period at the start of the year, go to as many presentations as you can. In fact, if it's convenient for you, why not infiltrate a few lectures in the meantime? No-one will notice you lurking in the shadows at the back. :D

Best of luck whatever you choose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

I did Biology, Nua-Ghaeilge and Media Studies.

Pretty sure NUIM is the only place one can take Biology as an Arts subject! Only for the year, you can't take it to degree, but nonetheless it was an interesting year.

Nua-Ghaeilge I would definitely recommend. But that's not on your list...

Media Studies I wouldn't. Well if you like philosphy and theories do, if you want to make movies, it's not the one for you.

It's impossible to assess NUIM on the whole here though. Like, one dept might be good, one might not. I'd say either find out about Maynooth as a place. Cheaper Accom than Dublin, small campus, small town feel, more pubbing than clubbing and see if that is for you.

Or else pick your subjects and see if those subjects are recommended here or in other places. One deciding factor might be that in NUIM you do three in 1st year, others you do 4. Would you prefer to concentrate on three, or to have more options if you decide to go teaching after?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 comebackkid

Rozabeez wrote: »
    You know you do 3 in first year and 2 for 2nd and 3rd year unless you end up doing a single honours, yes?

yes i know, the subjects i mentioned were the ones im mainly considering. i dont know which ones ill actualy choose.

going by the other replies the thoughts of a lot of reading arent appealing though.

how much is alot by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

No matter what subject you choose in college you'll have to read/study a hell of a lot to do well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

yes i know, the subjects i mentioned were the ones im mainly considering. i dont know which ones ill actualy choose.

going by the other replies the thoughts of a lot of reading arent appealing though.

how much is alot by the way

What exactly do you want? You can come and do as little as you want. You may pass but your probably wont do well, every course requires a lot of reading to do well.

Content reflects credit requirement, and I have found this fairly consistent across the board

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭ontour

Make the most of the orientation period at the start of the year, go to as many presentations as you can. In fact, if it's convenient for you, why not infiltrate a few lectures in the meantime? No-one will notice you lurking in the shadows at the back. :D

Best of luck whatever you choose.

Is it possible to do this? I am after applying as a mature student, would be nice to see what the lectures were like... Id probably scare myself off though!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

ontour wrote: »
    Is it possible to do this? I am after applying as a mature student, would be nice to see what the lectures were like... Id probably scare myself off though!!!

Yeah, why not? There's no ID check at the door (As a mature student you'll not look underage or anything :P).

If it's a big lecture hall just slip in, no-one will notice. If it's a small one that you really want to check out, maybe corner the lecturer beforehand if it would make you feel more at ease.

Which subjects were you interested in trying ontour? I'm sure we could point you towards the right staff to chat to.

Advertisement