Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reclaiming banking charges + fees

Options
  • 08-01-2009 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Not sure if any of you are aware of this site :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

But they deal with reclaiming OTT banking charges and fees in the UK, succesful to the tune of over £10m so far.

The reason I am enquiring about this is that I checked my current account today and due to the NY + Christmas period, various charges were incurred by me due to standing orders coming out on days that usually they wouldn't have.
    My loan + CC repayments are usually removed every friday, as I get money into my account every thursday.
    During the holidays however, the repayments had attempted to be removed on various other days when there wasn't sufficient funds in the account, thus resulting in the standing orders being rejected and me incurring a fee of €12.70 for each payment that bounced.

This isn't the first time this has happened over the past few years and personally I find it absolutely scandalous, Im obviously fairly broke at the moment as it is, so these charges are really putting me seriously behind.

I did some searching around about the legality and validity of these charges and it seems that the UK site I've linked to above has been created for the very purpose of reclaiming these extortionate fees - with considerable success.

Has anyone done the same here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

AB03 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Not sure if any of you are aware of this site :

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

But they deal with reclaiming OTT banking charges and fees in the UK, succesful to the tune of over £10m so far.

The reason I am enquiring about this is that I checked my current account today and due to the NY + Christmas period, various charges were incurred by me due to standing orders coming out on days that usually they wouldn't have.
    My loan + CC repayments are usually removed every friday, as I get money into my account every thursday.
    During the holidays however, the repayments had attempted to be removed on various other days when there wasn't sufficient funds in the account, thus resulting in the standing orders being rejected and me incurring a fee of €12.70 for each payment that bounced.

This isn't the first time this has happened over the past few years and personally I find it absolutely scandalous, Im obviously fairly broke at the moment as it is, so these charges are really putting me seriously behind.

I did some searching around about the legality and validity of these charges and it seems that the UK site I've linked to above has been created for the very purpose of reclaiming these extortionate fees - with considerable success.

Has anyone done the same here?

Hardly the fault of the bank if you have insufficent funds to meet your Standing Orders / Direct Debits :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

While you may not like the message, it is nonetheless your responsibility to ensure that the right amount of funds are there, at the right times.

The non-banking days over Christmas are pretty well known to most, and can be found out.

The nature of the fees and the amount has been discussed extensively here before, but again you should always make a note of these things when you join a bank and if you don't like their fee structure, search elsewhere :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

I appreciate that it is my responsibility to make sure that there are adequete funds in the account regardless, however my point, and the point of the website I mentioned is that perhaps these fees are fraudulent and/or illegal and therefore should be recoverable.

Im not looking for a lesson on the merits of keeping my account topped up, the last thing I want is for my balance to be at or near zero, my reason for posting is to enquire as to whether anyone has had any similar dealings with Irish banks as those detailed on the consumer action group in the UK that I mentioned.

I mean, over 7,000 people on that forum have recieved refunds totalling over £10m, I would be VERY suprised if Irish banks are not in some way similarly defrauding people.

In fact, a huge number of UK customers have already recieved refunds of bank charges from Bank of Ireland themselves!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Cheers, I tried to search but came up blank, thanks for that!

• Advertisement
Advertisement