Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's involved in having a firearm deactivated?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 1:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭

Sorry for cutting(saves me having to start a new thread) in here but whats involved in having, lets say, a 22lr deactivated as I'd like to keep it rather that sell it or have it destroyed.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Moved to a new thread of its own, carry on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

Sorry for cutting(saves me having to start a new thread) in here but whats involved in having, lets say, a 22lr deactivated as I'd like to keep it rather that sell it or have it destroyed.

I got a job priced lately for the same thing got quoted €350 from a gunsmith to do the job and the paperwork.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

how does 350 equate into the orginal value of the gun?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

how does 350 equate into the orginal value of the gun?

It didn't equate .
    The gun was a piece of s**t it was for sentimental value only so it ended up scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Sounds like somone was out to fleece the punter again.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

What's actually involved between the actual work on the firearm, and the paperwork certifying the deactivation?
    Who issues the paperwork?
    Anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

About 10 years ago, I deactivated several shotguns for customers, in line with garda guidance at the time. This consisted of:

Drilling a series of 8mm holes in each barrel from the breech forwards (located so as not to be visible when the forend was fitted.

Drilling out and welding up the holes for firing pins in the receiver.

Removing the firing mechanism and welding a lump of steel in its place.

Once this was done, they were examined by the local firearms officer, who let the owner's Superintedent know they had been permanently disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

There are no deactivation certs, or standards, issued in this country like the ones issued in the UK or the likes. You just need to satisfy whoever is going to issue your authorisaion for a defective firearm.

Advertisement