Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

credit card charges - cross border fee

Options
  • 08-01-2009 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

hi, I use use a bank of ireland credit card in the uk a good bit and they charge a cross border handling fee of 1.75% on sterling transaction. Is this the same with all credit cards. As all the transactions are electronic is just seems a good excuse to charge you.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

same if you use a UK credit card here you'll be charged up to 2.25%

similarly if you go to a bank to change cash, you'll be charged a commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

All the banks apply a charge, some more than others. As far as I can remember, from reading a document from the financial regulator before, that's about the lowest. Some charge up to 2.5%, I believe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Bomany

If in Uk Nationwide Visa and Post Office Visa are the only ones who do not charge anything extra for using their cards outside the UK. It can be done but unfortunately everyone else sticks the arm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

there's no charge if you lodge your own money on to card

e.g. you dont oue money the card is in actual credit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

ntlbell wrote: »
    there's no charge if you lodge your own money on to card

e.g. you dont oue money the card is in actual credit

You've also got no protection for purchases, or against fraud, if you do this. Hardly worth the risk, for a small fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

jor el wrote: »
    You've also got no protection for purchases, or against fraud, if you do this. Hardly worth the risk, for a small fee.

Thats not true, I do this myself & I made a claim on my BOI mastercard that was paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

I think you get purchase protection as normal, but if your card gets nicked when you've frontloaded it, and they spend all your money tough.
    They won't leave you owing them anything, but your own money will be gone too.
    (at least that was my reading of it last time i checked the T&Cs)

Advertisement