Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best meal of 2008

• 08-01-2009 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about people's best meal for last year, something you cooked yourself, had at a friend's, paid a massive amount of money for in a restaurant, found on the street after a feed of beer?

For me, it was probably my second attempt at roasting my own full chicken. I used a bit of Jamie, a bit of Nigella, and it all just came together so well. I've cooked it numerous times since then, but the first time I got it right, mmmmm. Also, it was the first time I found out about chicken oysters, so extra treat for the chef.

I didn't get out much last year :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭acorntoast

My best meal of the year was the 50 euro lunch at Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud in the Merrion Hotel. Beautiful food, very memorable meal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The tasting menu in Chapter One. Amazing - service, wine, food. Everything! Going to do it again in Feb/March.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Davexirl

corblimey wrote: »
    Just wondering about people's best meal for last year, something you cooked yourself, had at a friend's, paid a massive amount of money for in a restaurant, found on the street after a feed of beer?

For me, it was probably my second attempt at roasting my own full chicken. I used a bit of Jamie, a bit of Nigella, and it all just came together so well. I've cooked it numerous times since then, but the first time I got it right, mmmmm. Also, it was the first time I found out about chicken oysters, so extra treat for the chef.

I didn't get out much last year :D

Could you post your recipie please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Davexirl wrote: »
    Could you post your recipie please?

Well it's a standard roast chicken, but I use the sprinkle mix that Nigella makes here instead of the usual mix of herbs and salt & pepper. Delicious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmm, best meal of 2008...

There's a smoked duck pasta that a local cafe in town does - first time I had that, *wow*.

Haven't had that spectacular an eating year. Did a few good meals involving the barbecue - specifically "Moroccan barbecue", which is a butterflied leg of lamb rubbed in smoked paprika, cumin and salt, served along with BBQ-roasted peppers that have been skinned and julienned and stirred with some olive oil, anchovies and capers; baba ganouche made with aubergines charred on the BBQ, home made hummus, flat breads from the bakery, a spiced onion yoghurt and a bowl of leaves with a bottle of chili sauce to make it interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Without doubt for me it was at Andreini in Alghero, Sardinia.

Roasted Pecorino with olive cream & corbezzolo honey.

Sword fish with pepper, vegetable salad and bottarga mayonnaise.

White nougat mousse with casizolu cheese seadas & pistachio ice cream.

Extras on the house, wine, desert wine, myrtle liqueurs, all in the most amazing restaurant I've ever eaten, with everything cooked to absolute perfection and proper service where they just notice if you want something without you having to ask.

Best of all: €50 each :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Brainz

Mine was in a little restaurant in Argassi, Zakynthos called Peppermint -

I only went for main course and desert left out starters -

I know it might sound crazy but it was only a Steak but it was the nicest steak i have every tasted and the Desert was the nicest Choclolate Mousse every

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

My best meal in 2008 and second best since I am a chef was in Mint. If food was like sex....this would have been the best ride of 2008. Fantastic. Oliver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

I had a few very memorable meals in Vegas, went to all the really good places over there, had the chef's special in Craft steakhouse which was unbelievable, Wagyu beef and the likes.

Other then that BBQ chicken beer can thing was always pretty successfull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Tasting menu in Bon Appétit. Had an amazing dessert, coconut ice-cream with mango purée parfait, topped with something like a milk granita and black olive caramel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My best meal of 2008 happened in 2009!

Corrigan's new(ish) restaurant in Mayfair.
    Incredible!
    And cheap!
    Strangely cheap.
    Starters start at £6
    Almost all mains under £20!
    It's a must, if you're in London!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

chef's surprise menu @thornton's, tried twice in 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Mortons Steakhouse in King Of Prussia, Philadelphia. My wife ordered a lobster tail (which was to die for) and I had a giant porterhouse steak, done rare.

The yanks sure do know how to cook a good steak!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

It wasn't a great eating out year for me, so my best meal was one I cooked myself: pork fillet cooked in port and spices, honey roasted, with mustard mash and roast carrots and parsnips. Nyam. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭silvo

We had roast suckling pig for Christmas dinner. It was amazing. The skin was crunchy and the meat fell apart mmmmmmmm. I could have another one right now (well maybe not a whole one!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Our wedding meal, 7 courses (in Italy), selection of typical Umbrian cold cuts and charcuterie with Norcia truffle polenta, vegetable flan with Taleggio fondue and zucchini blossoms, Spolletto style unbricelli pasta with black Norcia truffles, Cavatelli pasta with breast of duck thyme and a fresh tomato sauce, beef fillet with pholiotte mushrooms and shaved Norcia truffles, Vegetable tempura with goats cheese and last but not least Wedding cake made with fresh fruit and fresh cream. Yum, yum, yummy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lentil

Pigged out on Chicken Satay, Pad Thai, Red Curry and Fried Rice on an island near the border of Thailand / Cambodia, whilst watching the sunset. Was beautiful - and cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i made a really good turkey and ham dinner for my friends at Christmas, first time making it, was awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

my best meal of 2008 and possibly ever..

was the starter at Mott in Palermo Soho in Buenos Aires, if you ever go to Argentina go here it was amazing..

beef carpaccio and tomato jam and some pesto mix that was just amazing. i nearly ordered a second one as main

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

barbiegirl wrote: »
    Our wedding meal, 7 courses (in Italy), selection of typical Umbrian cold cuts and charcuterie with Norcia truffle polenta, vegetable flan with Taleggio fondue and zucchini blossoms, Spolletto style unbricelli pasta with black Norcia truffles, Cavatelli pasta with breast of duck thyme and a fresh tomato sauce, beef fillet with pholiotte mushrooms and shaved Norcia truffles, Vegetable tempura with goats cheese and last but not least Wedding cake made with fresh fruit and fresh cream. Yum, yum, yummy.

what's the name of the restaurant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

i'd a lovely meal in the ambassador in cork.... my favourite chinese. I love the chips in howth (philistine)

Advertisement