Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre-planning meetings

• 08-01-2009 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

Hi not sure if this is the right place,
    Has anyone here attended the pre-planning meetings? Did you find them useful?
    What would you get out of it from going to them?

I'm sort of sceptical of going to them, especially as we are a year short of the mandatory 5 years living in the area.
    I'm just wondering if they are beneficial or not, or would I be left squirming in my seat and ruining my chances of an application after that?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I advise all clients that meeting can be arranged. They have at least a 4 week waiting list.

Some Planners can be very helpful while others will list relevant sections of the Development Plan. It is possible to have an On-line pre-planning with the Council computer!

Useful if you want to talk to someone who will give a slight indication of how the Council may view your application.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Juantorena

I'd very much advise making the appointment - and if you can, let the planners know you would be available on short notice if another scheduled slot becomes free and you might get one sooner than you think!

If you treat the meeting as a way of putting across your ideas and thoughts as well as getting valuable feedback from the planner it will prove very useful.

I went for a change of design and out of the pre-planning meeting I got some pointers as to preferred and non-preferred finishes, a verbal 'go-ahead' with the rather unusual design of the house, a consensus on the orientation and - perhaps most valauble of all - the suggestion to write up a justification for the design and submit it with the planning application.

I would definitely do it again in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I find them useful in that they can save you time during the application by making sure there is no bloody FI request. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Bring your planning agent with you as they will get things out of it that you may not think of asking.

I dont know how many times i have heard from clients "I would not of thought of that" to somthing i would of thought was obvious to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

We have planning Clinics every wednsday morning at the various area offices where you can meet an area planner without appointment. Its a very good system, previously we used to have to wait for months!!! Pre-planning and FI can be dealt with although I must admit I tend not to bring my client as the planners are generally much more vague and non comittal when they are present and don't tell them anything much more that I have told them already!!! its only when you are doing big projects (remember them!!) and you need to meet more senior planners that there can be long delays getting a meeting (Months & Months!!!) It can be fun though if you want to meet two or three area planners around the county though, good job theres no speed cameras yet in Mayo!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Oh yeah and never go without your planning agent if you are going!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

This must sound like a silly question, but what is a planning agent?
    I just want to know can I build a house and I know that I'm under the 5 years living in the area rule, so I'm afraid that this might bring complications to the meeting.

ecaf wrote: »
    This must sound like a silly question, but what is a planning agent?

Ideally we are people who live in the shadows, have great gismos, fast cars with ejector seats, expolding pens and beautiful women fall at our feet every day.

Sadly, its just a name the Councils use. In reality we are Architects, Architectural Technicians, Engineers, Surveyors etc. We are people that design houses / structures for clients. So the person you have retained to design your home is your Planning Agent.

Always good to have your Planning Agent at the meeting, to ask the right questions, interpret the Planners reply's etc.

Some people also ask a T.D or local Councillor to attend. This is quite normal and won't "complicate" the meeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭ecaf

Oh right! Thanks. Well we don't have an architect yet. And I'm dreading getting one based on a few people's recent experiences (no offence). But that's another days work.

My OH wanted to meet the council to see what the chances were of getting PP, but he hasn't seen the local needs forms yet, and I have realised that we probably need a proper copy of architect plans to bring with us too.

Some people we know avoided the pre-plan meetings because the planners are supposed to give you a hard time there, any reason they could find to tell you that you couldn't build. But then again I've heard that they are easing back on the strict rules a little due to the down turn and less people applying.

Back to the drawing board for me the, best get an architect to officially draw up what we want to build.... :(

ecaf wrote: »
    Back to the drawing board for me the, best get an architect to officially draw up what we want to build.... :(

You don't need plans or drawings for a pre-planning meeting.
    Just bring a free-hand sketch or photo etc. The meeting will be about the site and vague discussion on house type, height restrictions, sewerage facilities, entrance sight-lines, local need, etc.

Go on-line and have a look at the Cork County Council design guide.

It would be good to have a professional with you at the meeting, but you won't need finished drawings!

Good luck

• Advertisement
Advertisement