Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Backpacking - East or West?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi all!

I have a bit issue somebody might be able to help me with!

My girlfriend and I have been saving for quite a while to go round the world backpacking. We plan to go this summer, June/July. The basic outline of trip will be China/Japan, South East Asia, Australia/New Zealand and South America.

The problem is we don't know whether to Asia or South America first!

Here is what I have so far!
    - I believe it is the rainy season in SE Asia around that time would be better to go to South America first.
    - I know that Asia will be a lot cheaper and therefore would be better to do that bit last.

- A lot of people recommend going to Asia first because it is, by several accounts, a bit safer than South America. The idea being that we will have gained quite a bit of backpacking experience before we get to the most dangerous part of our trip.
    - If we manage to still have some money at the end of our journey, and we are in South America, we would try to squeeze in some of the States before heading home.

Does anybody have any other arguments for me to consider?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

I'd probably go to South America first as it is more expensive than South East Asia and it's good to finish the trip in a cheap place when you are down to your last bit of money. While i wouldn't consider Asia to be overly dangerous, i wouldn't consider South America to be either. Once you use common sense you will be fine. A lot of the reports you hear are just made up or stupid things blown out of proportion. Apply the same precautions you would in any big city. Don't walk with loads of money, cameras, watches, drunk alone late at night etc. Anyone i have ever met that had been robbed was pretty much down to their own negligence. As for rainy and dry season. It simply depends where you are in SA. Coast or inland, lowland or highland, etc. You'll find decent weather somewhere no matter what time of the year you go. For example, Lima would be dry now but if you done the machu picchu trek it would be most likely wet. And even when it does rain it's never for long. It's not days of rain on end like over here. It's tropical showers which are quite impressive and occur around the same time everyday. So you can always plan around them. Plus you could start learning spanish now while at home because you probably won't get much time once you are on the road. It's pretty necessary to know a bit of spanish in SA. A lot more than the need to know Thai in Thailand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mr__bob

Thanks Neamhshuntasach. Sound advice! You sound like you have done a bit of travelling...

Learning Spanish will be hard for me, was never good at languages, but Ill have to try I suppose!

I have heard a lot more about Asia than South America, it seems a lot more people from this part of the world go to Asia. It must be the Spanish thing! Any favourites in South America that I should not miss??

Advertisement