Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New phone needed!

• 08-01-2009 3:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Recently looked at the Iphone and the Nokia 5800 and the n96. didnt really like any of them but would like a more rounded combination of them. does anyone have any suggestion. looking for the works really. new up coming releases welcome. will wait a while to get the right phone!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

When you say you want a combination what features interest you??

Of the phones you listed, i'd go with the 5800. It's the cheapest and arguably the best. The iPhone beats it on user interface terms, and the N96 on camera and Mobile TV (which doesnt work in Ireland anyway). Bear in mind, the N96 is just an N95 8Gb with more memory and a fancy coat on it, along with a huge price tag.

Considering the 5800 will be only €300 sim free, and cheaper with a contract, i'd wait. Being a series 60 phone it has a lot of 3rd party apps, and before someone mentions the app store, which admittedly has some nifty little applications, the 5800 is a lot more open to than than the locked up iphone. I cant comment on the 5800 battery, but reports of iPhone batterys are shocking. People are impressed when they get a day out of it, but have to turn off 3G, bluetooth, wifi etc.. Meanwhile, most new nokias will give you 2-3 days, while multi-tasking and running 3G and bluetooth non-stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

touch screen, have big fingers so needed to be usable! gps, storage, wifi g at least wpa2-psk a must, music and video is a nicety but not as neccessary. decent battery life and decent screen size..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I've never used a 5800 but apparently it can be operated using your fingers. It does come with a stylus though which leads me to believe that there will be some parts of the interface that may be fiddly. Iphone was designed to use fingers only so points to the iphone there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

nialo wrote: »
    touch screen, have big fingers so needed to be usable! gps, storage, wifi g at least wpa2-psk a must, music and video is a nicety but not as neccessary. decent battery life and decent screen size..
    with touchscreen, wifi, gps and massive storage you should not have too many illusions re. battery life! whatever you read, you'll end up charging once a DAY!
    HTC HD?
    Asus P565, currently asia only, but will come to Europe.
    Has an 800mhz processor, sh*tloads of ram... but: only 2.08'' touchscreen! That aside, it's the ueberphone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Since the handsets mentioned already have been quite varied e.g. iPhone, Nokia N96 etc, may I recommend the Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 since it has practically all the features a user could want. The one exception would be onboard memory, but this can be rectified by using a microSD card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement