Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Seat Leon 01 Wipers failed this morning

Options
  • 08-01-2009 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if any one has had this problem in the cold weather we are having.

I went out to the car this morning and poured luke warm water over to de-ice it. That was fine so put on the windscreen wipers and went to squirt water onto the screen and the wipers failed they are stuck half way across the windscreen. The rear one works fine.

Anyone know what the problem could be.

Going to check the fuse when I get home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Try and move the wipers by hand - if you can then there's a mechanical problem somewhere, ie stripped splines, a ball joint that pulled off, a nut that fell off, etc.

If the wipers don't budge at all, then it could be the fuse, or the motor itself. It could well be that the wipers froze to the glass and that the overload caused the fuse (or the motor) to burn. (I suspect the front and rear wipers are probably on the same circuit though but check in any case.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

T-Maxx wrote: »

If the wipers don't budge at all, then it could be the fuse, or the motor itself. It could well be that the wipers froze to the glass and that the overload caused the fuse (or the motor) to burn. (I suspect the front and rear wipers are probably on the same circuit though but check in any case.)

All of the above is quite common during frosty weather. Fuses, motors, washer pumps all get frazzled by being used when the wipers are frozen to the screen and the water in the washer lines is frozen solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

Yeah it was the fuse thanks lads should you not use the wipers untill engine is warmed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Psygnosis wrote: »
    Yeah it was the fuse thanks lads should you not use the wipers untill engine is warmed up?

Not necessarily - just be sure that the wipers aren't frozen to the windscreen before you switch them on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Psygnosis wrote: »

Just check there not stuck to the windscreen in icy weather before switching them on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 leno1979

I think im having similar problems,a few weeks ago the wipers stuck on my leon also but after about a minute worked again so i thought nothing of it. This started happening on a more regular basis and when i manually went to move the wiper blade it was firmly stuck. Reading your posts it seems the fuse is gone but then today they completely froze on me, when i manually went to move them they started up no bother now leaving me to believe that the motor could be gone... should i see a mechanic,does anyone know roughly the cost involved (nth county dublin area) or is this something i could sort myself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

The linkage can seize on them.

Advertisement