Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

How soon will all discs in video shop be blu-ray?

• 08-01-2009 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

Was gonna get this t.v.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32U400

but saw post online that said it won't play blu-ray. I don't care if I can still get dvds , but if there obsolete in a years time I'll be a bit pissed off. Anyone know what the story is?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

There's nothing about that tv that means it "won't play bluray" - where in heaven did you read that nonsense ?

Flat screen tvs come in two "flavours" - HDReady - in simple terms, able to display a picture at least 720 lines resolution, and FullHD, again in simple terms 1920x1080 resolution. BluRay discs are encoded as 1920x1080, but a bluray player will play them fine on a HDReady tv, it wll just "downscale" the image. In fact at smaller screen sizes 32 - 37", there's varying opinion as to whether the higher resolution makes a very significant difference.

As for when dvd's will be phased out and completely replaced by blu-ray, it probably won;t happen for a good while, there's too many dvd players out in the market place, it would take an age for the market to do a complete change over. Not to worry about, imo.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

Sorry Da Ritz, I did exaggerate slightly, what the poster said - yahoo answers - was:

You can certainly play BluRay discs if you have a BD player, but you wont get full HD with a Sony U series as it's 'HD ready' not full HD (1080).

So not getting full HD still means you'd be left with a perfectly image quality?
    Swift

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Swift66

Meant to write that not having full HD does not mean blu rays won't play and picture quality should still be very good?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Picture will still be fine on HDReady, especially on a 32" screen. There is a difference between picture quality in HDReady and FullHD, but at the price point you're talking about here (€450), you shouldn't have any complaints.

Ritz.

Advertisement