Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car insurance cheaper for dubs??

Options
  • 08-01-2009 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭

I was just playing with the quick quotes on nononsense.ie - A quote for me in Limerick (or anywhere but dublin, apparently) is €697. But if i'm living in dublin, it's €543.

Those quotes are for 3rd party only, but dublin is still cheaper for 3rd party+fire&theft.

Surely this is completely arseways considering the relative traffic densities & crime stats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Yeah, but rent is more expensive here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

I was just playing with the quick quotes on nononsense.ie - A quote for me in Limerick (or anywhere but dublin, apparently) is €697. But if i'm living in dublin, it's €543.

Those quotes are for 3rd party only, but dublin is still cheaper for 3rd party+fire&theft.

Surely this is completely arseways considering the relative traffic densities & crime stats?

Are we talking about car crime, or guns & knife crime? If it's the latter, you might want to reconsider your argument.

Care to provide some verifiable statistical analysis to back up your assertions? Or is it just the usual Limerick grumbling about Dubs?

I pay more for my insurance now living in Wicklow than I did in Dublin. I also felt hard done by initially, but seeing the number of ditches with big car shaped indentations in them, cars with scraped sides, missing or busted mirrors etc., I can kind of understand the extra now.

My car is also going to be easier for some scrote to break into if they want down here, as opposed to being in constant view when I lived in Dublin.

I'd say it balances out to be honest.....

And in all fairness, there's always FBD. Try getting a decent quote from them if you live in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I used to live in Corbally, Limerick but technically I was in Co Clare so our house Insurance and car Insurance were Knockballnameath, Parteen, Co Clare.

We used the Limerick address because post arrived 1 day quicker. Voting and Insurance were the other address.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Perhaps there are more fender benders in Dublin, but the average cost per claim is lower, or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Strange, in my experience insurance was always more expensive if you had an address in Dublin or any of its surrounding commuter counties. Hence the phenomenon of dubs using their granny in Donegal's address on insurance proposals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

eoin wrote: »
    Perhaps there are more fender benders in Dublin, but the average cost per claim is lower, or something like that?

Makes sense like, I do about 2 hours of driving in Dublin per day, yet my average speed according to my trip computer is 18kmh.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Stephen wrote: »
    Strange, in my experience insurance was always more expensive if you had an address in Dublin or any of its surrounding commuter counties. Hence the phenomenon of dubs using their granny in Donegal's address on insurance proposals.

I'd have thought Donegal would be the last county you would claim to live in for insurance reasons, given all the crashes that seem to happen there.

I also thought that Kildare seemed to get a loading, but I might play around with the online quotes as well to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Back in 1998 I remember getting screwed by those b@stards at Guardian for an extra £400 when I moved to Dublin. That's on an '88 Micra 1.0L! I was in my first year of motoring and naive to the ways of the insurance world.

I seem to remember there being two areas for insurance purposes: Dublin and "the country" :rolleyes:

Maybe they've just become a bit more sophisticated in how they assess risk on a geographical basis? I know that one of the factors behind the push to introduce postcodes is that they'd be a more refined way of doing this.

Then again, imagine if your nice estate shared its postcode with Moyross or Summerhill? You wouldn't be very happy...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Gil_Dub wrote: »
    Are we talking about car crime, or guns & knife crime? If it's the latter, you might want to reconsider your argument.
    I'm talking about car crime. I don't think enough cars are shot/stabbed for gun & knife crime to be statically relevant.
    Care to provide some verifiable statistical analysis to back up your assertions?
    Of course not, this is boards - I'm operating entirely on assumptions, pub wisdom and stuff I made up.
    Or is it just the usual Limerick grumbling about Dubs?
    You've rumbled me. This thread is really about how all Dubliners are scum. What gave me away?:rolleyes:

Now, where was I...
    As Eoin said, one possibility is that average payouts for crashes dublin might be lower. I assume that the higher traffic density in dublin equals more crashes, but would also mean lower average speeds, so possibly fewer injuries?

On the other hand, I'd imagine that more pedestrians and cyclists would be injured in dublin traffic?

Advertisement