Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded to Eircom 7mb

Options
  • 08-01-2009 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

So I decided to upgrade to eircoms family bundle with 7MB download speeds. They said it would be installed this morning so I checked the speed in the netopia router and it says this:

Speed 4096/384 (kbps)

So does this mean Im not eligible for the full speed of the 7MB or somewhere in the regions of 5.5MB - 7MB?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Calebmcd

exiot wrote: »
    So I decided to upgrade to eircoms family bundle with 7MB download speeds. They said it would be installed this morning so I checked the speed in the netopia router and it says this:

Speed 4096/384 (kbps)

So does this mean Im not eligible for the full speed of the 7MB or somewhere in the regions of 5.5MB - 7MB?

Whats your speeds. Whats your Att and snr like?

Try this speed test http://speedtest.smarttelecom.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Speed 4096/384 (kbps)

someone woulda done a bandwith check but noone can ever guarrante you would recieve the full speed it all depends on your distance from the exchange

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I went for the same upgrade ,3mb - 7mb but my connection is listed as 6mb on the router.
    The line is perfect at that though ,speedtests are constantly around 5500Kbps . Sometimes higher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭exiot

According to the Smart Spped Test Im getting:

D/L: 3473kpbs U/L:282kpbs

its not much of an upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭3 Dollar Bill

Speed 4096/384 (kbps)

Not all customers on the 7.6MB package can actually achieve speeds of 7.6MB. There are several reasons for this, distance from your local exchange, quality of the copper serving your premises, internal wiring etc.

For those lines that cannot support the full speed, the line is restricted at either 3MB, 4MB, 5MB or 6MB depending on what your line can support. This is to eliminate your router losing sync. If your line only supports 4MB and your line was not restricted, your connection would drop intermittently.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Post your line stats and that will tell the story of what your line should be capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Slightly off topic but I recently got NTL 10MB, having been on 3MB. The speedtest.net always accurately got my speed at 3mb when I was on that package.

Now that I'm on the 10Mb - smart & magnet are always reporting 9+, whereas speedtest.net is never more than 6Mb - anyone know why?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Slightly off topic but I recently got NTL 10MB, having been on 3MB. The speedtest.net always accurately got my speed at 3mb when I was on that package.

Now that I'm on the 10Mb - smart & magnet are always reporting 9+, whereas speedtest.net is never more than 6Mb - anyone know why?

NTL is cable, Eircom is ADSL please start a new thread as its completely unrelated

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Hardly a hanging offence, chill out.

Advertisement