Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Knock, knock...

Options
  • 08-01-2009 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭

As the title says there's a knocking sound from the drivers front side of my focus. Its an intermitent sound I notice when doing anything from 10kph to 60kph. A while back I was doing a turnabout at low speed and I could hear it, and not just on one occasion. I'm thinking it could be a CV joint, but I'm looking to hear your qualified opinion on this.

Now the other side to this story is the front brake discs and pads where changed recently but I don't think its contributing to this.

Thanks guys. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Make, Model, Millage, Petrol or Diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Highly likely it is a CV joint. Knocking sounds whilst turning is a good tell tale sign.

I have snapped 4 CV joints in my years driving which Im lead to believe is actually quite a lot for somebody driving around 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

CV Joint probably, but just make sure you've got all your wheel nuts on the driver side.

I got a wheel changed once and after a few weeks i heard a knocking sound coming from the drivers side wheel when i was taking corners, turned out all but one of the nuts had came off.

Needless to say, i didn't visit that garage again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Make, Model, Millage, Petrol or Diesel.

Focus MK1, 90k, petrol. I checked all the fluids and there at the right level and no leaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

CV Joint probably, but just make sure you've got all your wheel nuts on the driver side.

I got a wheel changed once and after a few weeks i heard a knocking sound coming from the drivers side wheel when i was taking corners, turned out all but one of the nuts had came off.

Needless to say, i didn't visit that garage again.

Yes Yes happened to me. I just got my car back from XXX garage after a head on collision repair(somebody elses fault) and they neglected to tighten the front passenger side wheel. I noticed it at around 60mph on a dual carraigeway. I walked around and the wheels looked ok so kept on driving. 100 mtrs later I pull over convinced something is wrong. A car full of wimminz who wouldnt notice if I was driving on the roof anyway. Every single nut was hanging just about to come off. :mad:

You could drive with a CV joint for 6 months before it snapped even when making that noise or it could go within hours. It depends on how much strain you put on it. I would say get it checked out NOW before you are in the middle of nowehere in the dark and the rain and your mobile battery is dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I called a local garage I have used before and gave him the symptoms, he reackons its the CV joint too. I asked if I got the part will they fit it and they will. So its not worth risking Berty :pac::).
    P.s got my haynes manual out now and it doesn't help trying to pinpoint something like this heh.

Advertisement