Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goldenpages app

• 08-01-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

I put this together in a few hours last night. It lets you provide a "what" and "where" option and searches goldenpages.ie.

It's probably full of bugs because I haven't done much testing but give it a shot anyway and let me know if you find any problems

Currently it returns the name, phone number and address but the information available on the page is:
    businessName
    includedDueToZoning
    reviewSummary
    postalCode
    longitude
    geoCoded (true/false)
    streetAddress
    latitude
    mainPhoneNumbers
    name
    city
    listingNumber

and all of that could be returned if people want but it would increase the cost for those not on data packages.

you can get it here:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/gp

without a data plan it should cost about 2c to make one search

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

working well on my nokia n95. Fair play man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

download it again there would you? being an idiot i forgot to tell it what to do if there were no results. currently yours says invalid data returned but if you download it again it'll say No results as it should.

but if you don't care about that, just remember that invalid data returned means there were no results :)

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Fantastic. Good work. Just something minor are the end table quotes appearing every now and again.

if it's the </table> at the end you mean, if you redownload it now it should be gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Hup Mr. Vimes !

Working lovley on me E61.

Developing quite a library of apps now from boards God bless her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Brilliant app, thanks.
    Working OK on WM6.
    Should come in handy.

In the list of results, the address doesn't appear unless you click on it though.
    It'd be nice to se where the places are at a glance.
    Just an observation. :)

BTW, that IRLcinemaguide app no longer works, does it?

Thanks.

mkennedy wrote: »
    Brilliant app, thanks.
    Working OK on WM6.
    Should come in handy.

In the list of results, the address doesn't appear unless you click on it though.
    It'd be nice to se where the places are at a glance.
    Just an observation. :)

BTW, that IRLcinemaguide app no longer works, does it?

Thanks.

The only thing that appears on the main results page is the company name and to get the rest of the info you have to click on it.

If i was to add the address to the end it wouldn't even be visible on the vast majority of phones because it'd be off the edge of the screen and if i was to put it on a new line i think it might get confusing and hard to navigate and it'd take longer to scroll through results

What does anyone else think? Click for more info or put it all on one screen?

the cinema guide app isn't working for me but you'd have to ask damo2k about that

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    the cinema guide app isn't working for me but you'd have to ask damo2k about that

OK cheers.

The only thing that appears on the main results page is the company name and to get the rest of the info you have to click on it.

If i was to add the address to the end it wouldn't even be visible on the vast majority of phones because it'd be off the edge of the screen and if i was to put it on a new line i think it might get confusing and hard to navigate and it'd take longer to scroll through results

What does anyone else think? Click for more info or put it all on one screen?

Fair enough.
    As i say just a suggestion.
    Great app.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

tried it on e71 just now, got no result on my search. This has only a back button available on the right soft key, nothing occurs when I try to click it, so yit appears as though the application is frozen.

WezzyB wrote: »
    tried it on e71 just now, got no result on my search. This has only a back button available on the right soft key, nothing occurs when I try to click it, so yit appears as though the application is frozen.

when i first uploaded it there was no back option. then i added the back option but forgot to activate it. then i uploaded a fix about 2 minutes later.

you must have downloaded it in that brief 2 minute period :D

download it again and let me know if you still have the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

when i first uploaded it there was no back option. then i added the back option but forgot to activate it. then i uploaded a fix about 2 minutes later.

you must have downloaded it in that brief 2 minute period :D

download it again and let me know if you still have the problem
    E71 here also, and I get no back button after no results searches. It says 'invalid data returned'.

Also, any way of pressing the call button to dial direct from the phone instead of having to take down the number with a pen.

E71 here also, and I get no back button after no results searches. It says 'invalid data returned'.

when did you download it?
    Also, any way of pressing the call button to dial direct from the phone instead of having to take down the number with a pen.

now that's an idea. i'll see if it's possible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

when did you download it?
    This afternoon about 5 minutes after you posted it. But then I downloaded it again about twenty minutes ago. Mightn't hav overwritten the original properly. I'll remove it from the phone and start again from scratch.

now that's an idea. i'll see if it's possible

Brill. Nice one vimesy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Vimes, will you stop spending my credit with your bloody data apps!

Nice one :)

done :)

i didn't change the file name, just download it again

done :)

i didn't change the file name, just download it again
    Come on Vimes .. version numbers .. or at least release numbers 1, 2, 3 .. :(

Random wrote: »

it's only been out a few hours ffs :P

this is what i'd call alpha testing. it's just a skeleton and people will suggest features and bugs will be found etc.i put up 4 new versions in the first half hour!

i'll start all the version numbers hassle in a week or so

it's only been out a few hours ffs :P

this is what i'd call alpha testing. it's just a skeleton and people will suggest features and bugs will be found etc.i put up 4 new versions in the first half hour!

i'll start all the version numbers hassle in a week or so
    So in 8 years time how will people know if version 8 comes before or after the one with no version number? :D

Fair enough .. I'll leave you to it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Fantastic programme, works brillantly on my nokia E51!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

How many times have I said it??

He is getting like microsoft with his version numbering.. Windows 7 is based on 6.1 kernel :P

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

hi sam

Hopefully it didn't take too long to put together and well done on idea. Golden pages have been working on this one for a while and the app just launched this week.

Simple bookmark the following into your mobile browser and away you go: m.goldenpages.ie tailored specfically for mobile devices. It's a trimmed down version of goldenpages.ie also when you find listing you can call directly from number on the page.

PFL wrote: »
    hi sam

Hopefully it didn't take too long to put together and well done on idea. Golden pages have been working on this one for a while and the app just launched this week.

Simple bookmark the following into your mobile browser and away you go: m.goldenpages.ie tailored specfically for mobile devices. It's a trimmed down version of goldenpages.ie also when you find listing you can call directly from number on the page.
    Do you work for Golden Pages?

PFL wrote: »
    hi sam

no it didn't take long, i did it in an afternoon. seems like it was almost pointless now :)

but by having the initial data input in the app instead of on a web page it reduces the amount of data that has to be transferred so it'd be a bit cheaper. if you work for golden pages you might want to look into that. and you're welcome to the code of my app of course

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

I work with golden pages however not on the tech side on things as listings and website is constantly been updated the app needed to be linked to the mobile site.

Its only out a week or so however the uses are endless and makes it much easier and accessible to find what you're looking for. Fair play on spotting a gap though in mobile app.

Vimes - maybe you can use the mobile version to speed up your response times in the app?

Vimes - maybe you can use the mobile version to speed up your response times in the app?

it's a possibility but the main site seems to be fast enough as it is

and of course i think i might just bin the thing and use the mobile site myself :)

• Advertisement

That's a good idea.
    And after that you could link the address to GPS co-ordinates so it opens on Google Maps/Tomtom/whatever GPS app you carry on your phone. :p:D
    A bit far-fetched i know.

But a quick way of adding the contact info to your contacts might be another (more feasible) suggestion. :)

Advertisement