Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to deal with slow developers?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I was hoping to get some advice here. I am working with some Canadian developers on a project, who have proposed a partnership in order to allow the project to continue to the next stages - it is going to take a good bit more work to get it to where it needs to be, and we don't have the budget to pay for this, so they have suggested a partnership.

Anyway, over the past couple of months I have been working on this proposal as well as developing the business plan and marketing strategy. At each step, they take a very long time to respond. And now at this stage when it has been pretty much finalised, once again they are really taking ages to get back to me.

I have given them plenty of room because I didn't want to appear too pushy and in turn piss them off. But at the same time we don't have all the time in the world as someone else may very well take the market gap we are aiming for.

So, would anyone have any advice on how to interact with developers to ensure things go as quickly as possible?

Any thoughts appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Cianos wrote: »
    Hey,
    I was hoping to get some advice here. I am working with some Canadian developers on a project, who have proposed a partnership in order to allow the project to continue to the next stages - it is going to take a good bit more work to get it to where it needs to be, and we don't have the budget to pay for this, so they have suggested a partnership.

Anyway, over the past couple of months I have been working on this proposal as well as developing the business plan and marketing strategy. At each step, they take a very long time to respond. And now at this stage when it has been pretty much finalised, once again they are really taking ages to get back to me.

I have given them plenty of room because I didn't want to appear too pushy and in turn piss them off. But at the same time we don't have all the time in the world as someone else may very well take the market gap we are aiming for.

So, would anyone have any advice on how to interact with developers to ensure things go as quickly as possible?

Any thoughts appreciated

As a software developer myself, I would guess that they're online for a large part of the day, 5-6 days a week. It's safe to say that they read your emails in a timely fashion, so they may be stalling you or they may be extremely busy. I'm not really sure how you can get around this... is it too late to get a different developer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

perhaps there is not as much incentive in this partnership for them? If it's not in their interest to get it finished (eg: payed) then I'm not sure you can do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 conordarcy

Thing is if they're slow now they'll always be slow. I'd take the work they've done so far, cut them loose and find someone else who's genuinely interested.

Advertisement