Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone shop

• 08-01-2009 4:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

Anywhere in town do 2nd hand phones? I just need something simple as mine has clapped out, and my back up phone I had is huge and ancient (that is fine) but is selectively hanging up on people:rolleyes: I'd rather buy one in person than off ebay or sumtin'.

I am with O2 and am banging my head asking about buying a simple replacement phone. Apparently I need to buy a speakeasy and 'give away the credit'. I am not a big tech head, and would rather recycle someones older model phone. Email on phone good, but that's on the really old ones too.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

That one above the joke shop on shop street has second hand phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Or check www.adverts.ie. Posters there sell old phones all the time and there is probably a few in Galway.

header_adverts.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Ah deadly, thanks!

Yeah, I checked adverts.ie a couple of days ago, and nada, but will have another peep. Ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Does that one abouve the Joke Shop do unlocking? Any other places that would do it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For unlocking have a look through the first thread in this forum Mobiles or check Trycktill (free)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

inisboffin wrote: »

I am with O2 and am banging my head asking about buying a simple replacement phone. Apparently I need to buy a speakeasy and 'give away the credit'..

I think someone is giving you wrong information, Your pay as you go I presume, you can pick up a nokia 2600 on 02 for €49 and you get €40 back in credit + a €100 treat card, you don't give away the credit, you keep the free credit yourself...

What you looking for is a speakeasy upgrade phone...

Actually I am bill pay, but only for the last 4 months or so, and I am sim only bill pay. My phone is o2 but a few years old, as I got it as a speakeasy phone. After a year I get silver upgrade apparently, but it works out at the same price as getting a speakeasy pack brand new.

The treat card dealie ended Dec 31st, but I ended up buying the phone you mentioned as a pack.

I can either ditch the sim altogether, register it and have a 2nd pay as you go number on a sim, or give it to a prepay friend so they get the cred if I register.
    It just seemed a bit daft 'wasting' that speakeasy sim. In order to get most of that credit, I have to top up regularly, and they 'drip feed' it over a few months. I felt that as an existing customer, they should have some kind of replacement I could buy that was reasonable (without having to buy a speakeasy).

There were 2nd hand phones in the place over the jokeshop, these were unlocked, and the cheapest ones were a bit more than I paid for the new o2 pack.
    They were a better deal if you wanted a very fancy phone, or an unlocked phone.

And yes, they do unlock there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

inisboffin wrote: »
    they should have some kind of replacement I could buy that was reasonable (without having to buy a speakeasy).

the networks subsidise all phones, if you were looking for a 2600 sim free it would cost you nearly double....
    you can still use the treat card as long as the sim is registered and topped up I think, the list of treats is on the 02 treat site, some of them look ok, still haven't figured out the catch yet....

They stopped issuing the treat cards Dec 31st with the sale of phones.
    You can still use them all right, for a few months with top up IF you purchased before this time.

I realise the phones are subsidised, but that extra 5 or 7 initial registration 'credit' on a brand spanking new speakeasy pack could be passed on as a discount to the actual phone, not to mention the 'info pack' waste, new sim card, excess packaging etc which seems a waste to use on an existing customer. I wasn't looking for a sim free phone, just a non-broken o2 phone!
    I realise also it is meant to entice new customers and keep business, there just seems to be an overkill here, leaving an existing customer with less than.
    In fact, I seriously contemplated switching, as I would get a new deal and phone, which defeats all marketing purposes! My other half and my folks are o2, only reason I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,003 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Try posting to Galway Freecycle, 'tis likely that someone who's upgraded will have an old phone that they're happy to give away. Then potentially all it would cost you would be unlocking.

(use Google to find details if you're not already a member, you just have to join a Yahoo group)

Thanks JustMary, but already bit the evil bullet and did the speakeasy thing as I badly needed a phone in a hurry for stuff yesterday (see above).

I am a member and a big fan of freecycle, recommend it to others too :)

Advertisement