Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin - LA - Bangkok - Sydney

• 08-01-2009 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi there,

I am planning an around the world trip and I really need some advice please.

I will be going from Dublin and flying in to Los Angeles. I have a US passport so that wont be an issue. I plan on staying there for 3 months and working.

I am going to Santa Barbara, California.

My questions are:
    - I would like to get a job in just a bar doing bartendering (might help me meet some people) or else in retail (a shop or something).. are these jobs really low paid and are they hard to get?
    - I was planning on just heading over and staying in a hostel for a week and then trying to get something more long term. Is this really naive? Would I have difficulty getting an apartment/house with some other people if I am only staying short term?
    - Are people right when they say America is a really lonely place and I will find it lonely and difficult to make friends?

I am then flying to Bangkok where I will be meeting friends, staying in Thailand for a month and then doing 12 months in Austrailia.

Not including flights which I have budgeted for and they are comming in fairly reasonable-
    - How much money do you think I need for the whole trip?
    - I know I dont have nearly as much as I should but I am going to go anyway and I will be working the whole time in California and a good portion of the time in OZ.
    -Flights not included I will have about 7,500 euro. I am also planning on selling my car which should give me another 2000 euro which leads me to my final question
    - It could take months to sell my car, do any car dealers take a trade in and pay you for it if you are not buying a new car??

Any advice would be REALLY appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Bar and reatail are extrememly low paid and long hours in the US. At least in a bar you can earn tips but you'd really wanna be into that line of work. It can be tough going. Not sure about bar work, but a lot of jobs are really difficult to get in the US at the moment. Friends in Chicago and San Diego have all lost jobs in the past 6 months and are struggling to find work now.

Nope it's not naive to stay in a hostel first. A lot of people do it. I done it when i went to college over there for the first 2 weeks. I actually ended up getting my apartment through a guest whose friend was looking for room mates. With it being the summer you might have a difficult time getting a place to stay that's cheap or short term. It's a popular time for Mexicans trying to immigrate up and also the huge influx of not only Irish J1er's but other foreigners looking to work too. Well i'm just assuming you are going in the summer. A lot of American landlords look for first and last month's rent together. I'm sure you'll find some temp place to stay.

Well i made a lot of friends in the US. But then again i went to college, played gaelic football and soccer and done boxing. So most of my friends came from them outlets. America can be a lonely place because it's so big and a lot of Americans don't really seem to mix with tourists from my experience. Unless you meet them in work or something. Suppose that's the same anywhere. You're not gonna make friends just walking down the street.

You could spend around a grand in Thailand easily enough depending what you are doing. But most likely you'll spend less than that. Australia should be more than a grand a month. But as always, it depends what you are doing every day. Traveling around a lot, drinking and going out most days, etc will all add up. So for them 2 countries i would allow at least 13 grand. I've had mates that have spent 15 grand in Oz and they worked for 5-6 months of the year too. But since you plan on working the 7 grand should be okay to start off with.

Not sure on the car question but i would imagine they would take it if it is in okay condition and they'd most likely offer you less than it's value if you were to be buying a car off them.

Advertisement