Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pregnacare

• 08-01-2009 5:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm starting to get my pregnacare capsules supplement. Because the capsules are too big for me to swallow, I would like to take it opening the capsule, putting the content in a glass of water and drink it. Is that possible? Anyone has already tried this way to drink vitamins and minerals?

thanks everyone;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

Hi,

I can tell you from bitter experience that the contents of those capsules tastes absolutely vile. I remember throwing up with morning sickness once about 10-15 minutes after I'd taken my Pregnacare.... The taste is ghastly, it was like nothing else on earth and I couldn't get rid of the taste for the whole day, which meant I spent the entire day at work gagging and retching.... One of the worst first trimester experiences and I am gagging again just thinking about it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 little ol me

spupazza wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm starting to get my pregnacare capsules supplement. Because the capsules are too big for me to swallow, I would like to take it opening the capsule, putting the content in a glass of water and drink it. Is that possible? Anyone has already tried this way to drink vitamins and minerals?

thanks everyone;)

I tried exactly the same trick, and the moment it was in my mouth I started to retch. It was disgusting. They're supposed to be quite hard on the stomach, and have to be taken with or after your main meal of the day, so this method is probably not recommended!

Does anyone know of an alternative, which isn't the size of a grenade? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

There are definitely alternatives - I can't remember off the top of my head what exactly is in each one but there's Pregnacare, Pregnaplan, Optimum, Boots own brand ones... call into a big boots and have a look! Lots of them have pics on the side too to tell what size the capsule is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭spupazza

Oh girls, I thought that I was the only one with the problem to swallow big capsules.

Tomorrow I'll go to the farmacy where I bought it to ask them to change it with an alternatives such as tablets. I hope to find a way. Thanks to ll of you!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

I bought a load of those pregnacare capsules back in the beginning, and they're still sitting in my medicine cupboard :rolleyes: I could swallow them ok, but the aftertaste was horrendous and they repeated on me - not what you want when your tum isn't the best anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

Quackles wrote: »
    I bought a load of those pregnacare capsules back in the beginning, and they're still sitting in my medicine cupboard :rolleyes: I could swallow them ok, but the aftertaste was horrendous and they repeated on me - not what you want when your tum isn't the best anyway!

Ditto! Felt so guilty seeing them in the cupboard, but when you have morning sickness (or all day sickness in most cases), the last thing you can handle is those bullets of gick.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Emmerly

They only make you sick if you don't take them after a meal. Pregnaplan and pregnacare are both good. There's also a liquid iron tonic with folic acid in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

jees I take me pregnacare every day and I've never noticed an after taste or anything :o

If you're finding it difficult with the aul capsules OP, why not as your doc if you can take it in a liquid form. I was only reading about one last night, I can find the name for you when i get home if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭spupazza

the midwife told me to get only iron, at the end of the visit the doctor told me to get pregnacare wehre is in it even iron. So I went to search for something liquid, but I didn't find in Swords anything that has in it iron too. So I took pregnacare and I said to myself to swallow it, and I did it. I'm taking the capsules without open it, so in this way I don't taste anything horrible and my stomach tells me thanks.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

haahaa yay glad it's working, I'll look up that liquid one I saw in a magazine the other day and post it here anyhow. But obviously don't take it if you've been told to take pregnacare ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I tried exactly the same trick, and the moment it was in my mouth I started to retch. It was disgusting. They're supposed to be quite hard on the stomach, and have to be taken with or after your main meal of the day, so this method is probably not recommended!

Does anyone know of an alternative, which isn't the size of a grenade? :D

since i can remember ive never been able to swallow any tablet unless it was the size of a skittle and i was told by my midwife to start on pregnacare but i couldn't swallow the tablets so i went to my doctor and was prescribed a liquid version of pregnacare it taste like bananas and doesn't leave a horrible taste in your mouth.

Advertisement