Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new season of Fullmetal Alchemist april this year!

Options
  • 08-01-2009 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭

Yeah its a bit of old news (way back in september) with the announcement

but a teaser (which shows nothing!) appeared last month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geei0G05BZ4

But I thought a speculation thread might be in order all the same since the first FMA was pure awesome (and despite many people not liking it, I personnally enjoyed the film).

Course the question is:

Will it continue the original series (ala the set up ending of the film, which was a bit forced)

Or will they do a Hellsing ultimate and start over and stick close to the manga this time (the manga and anime go completely different routes after
    Hughes is killed

which will be cool in some areas
    Greed plays a much bigger role
    and in other areas
    the way homonculus are created is changed
    it wouldnt be as epic.

I'd be curious to see if they could carry the original series on, though I'd say alot people wouldnt be too happy if they stick in 1930s germany and it will need a really good plot device to get them back to amerstes.

A reboot would be awesome and is much more likely though it does mean there could be a risk that the first 26 episodes will be very similar to the anime series and
    I cant stomach watching Hughes die again *sniff* far too sad
    After that though it would get very good hopefully.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cy_Revenant

They might just pick up where they changed paths.

Besides, I was pretty sure the series diverged at the
    labratory 5 incident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 T3h-Slayer

i would rather have them sticck to the manga this time. because the anime was so way different from the manga that i got lost when i read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭sparkywolf

this one is gonna be more like the manga. when hiromu arakawa started work on the anime she only had the first 4 volumes done and deliberately changed the story cos she came up with a more interesting one
    now they want that one so this should be a pretty exciting year for full metal.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

eVeNtInE wrote: »

That would be kinda hard, considering that all the villains are dead in the anime, and the Elric brothers are stuck in post-WW1 Germany with no way home. None of that was in the manga - you're saying they should get in some random writers from, say, the Bleach filler and try to continue on anyway?:P

The first half of the anime followed the manga before it overtook it... the new anime should be quite a bit longer than the first.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

That would be kinda hard, considering that all the villains are dead in the anime, and the Elric brothers are stuck in post-WW1 Germany with no way home.

THe movie did end with an opening though, the two had set off to find the steampunk character from the start of the movie and his super bomb this could easily develop into a whole new plotline that leads back to the other world.

The only issue would be that Al wouldnt be as iconic with having his body and all now, but thats a challange for the writers to work it out (maybe stick with the idea from the film and having him trapped on one side of the gate and putting bits of his soul into the armour to accompany eric on the other side.)
    you're saying they should get in some random writers from, say, the Bleach filler and try to continue on anyway?

THe problem with fillers are not the writers but the pre set rules that a filler cannot interfere with the main plot line in any manner.

This means that usually the villians cannot be used at all, none of the characters can die or get severly injured, any new character introduced has to be easily removed or die and the world will reset back to how it was at the start with no substantial changes.

I actually thought the initial Bleach filler showed alot of courage by actually adding permanent new characters in the 3 artificial souls but they have seemed to have disapeared pretty much except for brief cameos.

Compare it to the Naruto fillers which are truely god awful because they wont touch anything or anyone tied to the main plotline in fear of messing it up.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    THe movie did end with an opening though, the two had set off to find the steampunk character from the start of the movie and his super bomb this could easily develop into a whole new plotline that leads back to the other world.
    Except that we know they failed. From history class.
    (Yes, Hitler attempted a failed coup a while before he was elected into power)

As for the manga: Dante does not exist in it - that's how different it is. Oh, and Ed copies the techniques of the homunculi he defeats.

Except that we know they failed. From history class.

Why did they fail? Did they end up back at the other side of the gate without getting the atomic bomb etc?

There is still a possible story there.

To be honest I'd like the manga version as well, *but* I actually perfer the anime's explanation of the homonculus etc I think it adds a much darker twisted moral element to the overall story and I'd encorage a fleshing out of it *if* the writer/writers want to and have somewhere to take it.

Otherwise a straight adaptation of the manga is perfectly fine and I look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

eVeNtInE wrote: »

Is the English dub any good? I've never seen FMA and my uni anime club only really deals with eps in Japanese with subs (apart from Bad Dub night)

• Advertisement

Demonique wrote: »
    Is the English dub any good? I've never seen FMA and my uni anime club only really deals with eps in Japanese with subs (apart from Bad Dub night)
    The English dub is very good (especially for the Elric brothers, who have male voice actors who fit much better than the originals) - many people who normally watch only subs prefer it.

Here's a comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aHck9eMYPk

Getting the same cast for a new dub would be tricky since Aaron Dismuke (Al's VA) hit puberty...

not bad as far as some really bad dubs go.

I'd still take the subs personnally, I perfer Mustang and Hughes sounding a bit older in the sub then in the dub

also to embed youtube videos:

take the highlighted bit only

so its: {youtube}7aHck9eMYPk{/youtube}

replace {} with []

voila

just an update this started last weekend along with valkyria chronicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭dacookie

Overrated anime at its best.(Still worth watching though)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Only read if you've watched the new ones:
    Does anyone know why
    they are reintroduced to Hughes and his wife and daughter, even though they had been present at the daughters birth? And why Ed knows he can transmute without a circle, yet in the old series he was shocked at doing it to heat the water while delivering the baby?

Tis confusing.

TPD wrote: »
    Only read if you've watched the new ones:
    Does anyone know why
    they are reintroduced to Hughes and his wife and daughter, even though they had been present at the daughters birth? And why Ed knows he can transmute without a circle, yet in the old series he was shocked at doing it to heat the water while delivering the baby?

Tis confusing.

Its a reboot of the series so the story it tells would be slightly different.

My guess would be they are trying their best not to rethread old ground too much so they obviously started with a story the previous series didnt have and then went through what took the prior series 3 episodes (origin, exam and hughes) in one episode.

I am curious how they will work tucker into this one but overall I will be happy if they do keep the pace up on things we'd seen already and continue to introduce new elements instead.

I like the new opening/ending aswell.

So far, I'm loving it.

It seems to be a lot closer to the original manga too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

I've really enjoyed the first two episodes although I kind of feel like the most recent one was kind of ... I dunno...rushed? Something about it didn't feel quite right. I'm starting to mix up the manga and the first anime's stories so I'm getting a bit confused about Hughes' daughter and Izumi and stuff. :confused:

I can't wait to see Ling!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

you all watching it online?
    I cant wait to see it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    you all watching it online?
    I cant wait to see it!

Course not. :P

I think there's legal streaming on funimation's site a few days after it goes out in Japan but I don't know if it's available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Looking forward to see how they progress - but it is very deja vu!

IT does seem as I feared that the rethreading of previous plotlines is not helping the series.

Especially when they (this week at least) either completly cut out entire storylines
    though the mine storyline was pretty weak and its main plotpoint is now gone in the new storyline
    to downgrading characters in their importance
    killing off shou tucker and general grand in very simple deaths, sot of lacklustre. Also Nina's death was done alot better the first time around then it was this time it seemed more tragic last time.

I'm tempted just to ignore it until episode 13 thereabouts and check in to see if they reach the new content yet. But so many little things are being changed or moved around might make it confusing.

also is it a different director or something, the humour and pacing seems a bit off compared to the first series.

Course not. :P

I think there's legal streaming on funimation's site a few days after it goes out in Japan but I don't know if it's available here.
    Yes. Yes it is. In HD.

www.fullmetalalchemist.com

killing off shou tucker and general grand in very simple deaths, sot of lacklustre. Also Nina's death was done alot better the first time around then it was this time it seemed more tragic last time.

Thats not due to fast pacing it, thats how it was handled in the manga.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

To be honest, it's not that great. They're overusing the whole ed being a midget joke and I swear in the first episode they called Ed by his full title about 20 times.

There's better anime's out there currently airing. This one's okay so far, needs to improve fast though or it'll loose my interest.

wow, finally after 8 episodes that were sub standard to the original series (mostly because they were rethreading water) they are finally moving into their own and improving.

This weeks episode finally saw the series move quite a bit away from the original series. While some elements are still popping up and will continue to do so, the noticeable lack of some elements (greed) and addition of new ones is making it much more fresh then any of the prior episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭DingChavez

IT does seem as I feared that the rethreading of previous plotlines is not helping the series.

Especially when they (this week at least) either completly cut out entire storylines
    though the mine storyline was pretty weak and its main plotpoint is now gone in the new storyline

I'm tempted just to ignore it until episode 13 thereabouts and check in to see if they reach the new content yet. But so many little things are being changed or moved around might make it confusing.

also is it a different director or something, the humour and pacing seems a bit off compared to the first series.

Its the other way around, they added filler to the original and upgraded the characters in their importance. You should try to forget the original anime. Any plot points it has will be completely irrelevant once you get to the new content.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Prime32 wrote: »
    Yes. Yes it is. In HD.

www.fullmetalalchemist.com

I'm surprised they haven't region locked that stream. They normally do.

• Advertisement

no no no no no no no no no no no no no.....next episode
    hughes death
    I'm sad he's not as relevent this time around as he was in the last series so it showing up so soon has me disapointed, but at least this time
    I wont burst out in tears at the burial scene.
    :(

Advertisement