Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hezbollah join the party?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 5:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I guess that it would have been asking too much that they didn't.
    Lebanon condemns rocket attack on Israel
    Thu, 08 Jan 2009 15:36:47 GMT

Lebanon has denounced a rocket attack from the south of the country into Israel, saying Beirut has launched a probe into the incident.

Thursday saw at least four rockets fired from Lebanon into Israel. The rockets exploded in northern Israel, wounding two near the city of Nahariya, about 10 km (6 miles) from the Lebanese border.

Israel has retaliated by firing five or six rockets inside Lebanon, a Lebanese army spokesman told AFP.

"Lebanon denounces and condemns the firing of rockets and the retaliatory action and believes that such action is in violation of UN Security Council resolution 1701," a statement from the office of Prime Minister Fuad Siniora read.

Siniora said the government has launched a probe into the matter which happened on the 13th day of Israel's offensive on the Gaza Strip.

"We have asked the competent authorities in cooperation with the UN Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL) to investigate," the statement said.

No one has claimed responsibility for the attacks but a Hezbollah spokesman has told a Press TV correspondent in Beirut that the movement's policy "is neither to claim responsibility nor to say that we were not behind it."

We are practicing the policy of "no comment", the spokesman said on Thursday.

The comment came a day after, popular Hezbollah leader Seyyed Hassan Nasrallah warned that "all possibilities" were open against Israel amid its deadly offensive in Gaza.

Could be a damp squib but the organisation has been happy to be wreckless
    in the past and maybe they reckon Israel can have its tail tweaked without much response right now.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I have heard suggestions it was a Palestinian group from a Lebanese refugee camp. Which seems the most likely scenario imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

mike65 wrote: »
    I guess that it would have been asking too much that they didn't.

Could be a damp squib but the organisation has been happy to be wreckless
    in the past and maybe they reckon Israel can have its tail tweaked without much response right now.

Let's hope that Israel resists the provocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Let's hope that Israel resists the provocation.

Israel made a go at provocation a few week ago as well:

Israeli Troops Kidnap Two Lebanese Citizens

They were eventually released:
    Captured Lebanese men released

Of course the Israeli's said they crossed the border, which I find hard to believe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

My guess is that Israel will give the UNIFIL lads a day or three to give them a chance to get a grip on the situation before getting involved itself.

NTM

Advertisement