Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ATI VS NIVIDA

Options
  • 08-01-2009 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hello i am getting a new laptop i have chosen 3 diffrent laptops
    but was woundering about the graphis cards on them who is better ATI OR Nivida for gameing or dose it really matter here are the list of cards

Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 8700M GT – SLI Enabled

Dual 512MB ATI® Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 – CrossFireX™ Enabled! Increase Your Graphics Performance 80% with CrossFireX!

dose any one have a benchmark test agents these 2 cards

any help would be good thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Do not purchase a Geforce 8-series.

Defective pieces of trash I tell you. Terribly flawed.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5063105/defective-nvidia-graphics-cards-confirmed-in-desktops

• Registered Users Posts: 43 paddy086

hay thanks well i could go with a 9*** nevida graphis card or do you still think ati are good

you see i want a card that will play games and i wont have to change it for ages and it will still play games in the future on high.

or since it is 2 graphic cards do i have to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

paddy086 wrote: »
    hay thanks well i could go with a 9*** nevida graphis card or do you still think ati are good

you see i want a card that will play games and i wont have to change it for ages and it will still play games in the future on high.

or since it is 2 graphic cards do i have to worry

I would suggest not buying a laptop then.

the problem is i game at home in friends house so it needs 2 be a laptop easier to move around so i need a laptop is there something wrong with the 2 graphis cards

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

paddy086 wrote: »
    the problem is i game at home in friends house so it needs 2 be a laptop easier to move around so i need a laptop is there something wrong with the 2 graphis cards

Both are fairly similar in performance.

I just advise against getting a laptop for gaming if you want longevity out of it. Its not a realistic goal. It will become outdated in about a year, is generally underspeced when sold and the gfx rarely interchangeable with a better card when they come out.

I'm a firm believer from experience that if you want a gaming machine get a desktop. If you want a portable gaming machine get a laptop but don't expect it to be anywhere near the price/performance ratio of a desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,411 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If anything goes wrong with the card out of warranty or the laptop becomes damaged (usually with a tenfold higher occurence than with desktops) then you will be out of luck, as replacing parts out of warranty is neither easy or cheap, and upgrades are virtually impossible.

If you need something light, what I planned on doing was getting one of the smaller desktop machines (HP makes a lot of very small form factor PCs) and an LCD screen. setting it up at a friends would take no time, and would only weigh about 10 pounds or so, which is fine for a rucksack. Small formfactor cards come out less regularly than standard or the extended form factors, but at least they come out. Not better than a full size desktop but better than any laptop with the right components.

If you want a gaming laptop the best price range in my opinion is a grand. anything less and its obsolete too quick; much more and it depreciates in value even quicker.

Given that the G9's have also been reported faulty in some cases, and that ive lost all my faith in nvidias ability to release a mobile gpu, id go with an ATI.

thanks for answering my question if i do go for a laptop il be getting the 3 year warrenty and pay a little extra for it thanks for all your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The mobility 3870 should be much faster than the 8700m. Theyre not similar at all in terms of performance, the 8700m is held back big time by its 128-bit bus and only has 32 shader cores (same as 8600M). 3870 is miles better.

voodoo child thats my pc game tag name voodoochild 086 lol

ok so im getting either 2 laptops from alienware one has

nivida 7800 or 9800 gt sli with a processor dule core 2

the other system has
    ati 3870 crossfire with a processor quad core 2

both have 4 gb ram

so its time to see what i will get

what you think about the 9800 nivida vs 2870 ati

laptops
    Alienware

M17 with nivida gpu
    Intel® Core™2 Duo Extreme Processors (6MB Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    Dual 512MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 9800M GT SLI
    OR LAPTOP 2

Alienware

IntelCore™2 Duo Quad and Extreme Processors (12MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB
    Up to 4GB Dual Channel DDR2 at 667MHz
    ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 3870 CrossFireX Enabled
    it also sayes on the ATI that it will be 80% increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

do not go laptop for gaming.

do not go nvidia for laptop

do not go nvidia for laptop. SERIOUSLY

go ATI if you choose to ignore point one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 CakeJumperer

I's suggest waiting untill the mobile 4870 and the GTX260m are released. I wouldn't buy from Alienware either. Try overclockers or mycizmo for better offers.
    Do a little research and find out if the laptop you're lookin to buy has an MXM slot for the gpu, which means you'd be able to upgrade it. A laptop that comes with a 3870 will usually have an MXM slot so if the 4870 uses the same slot it's be a great upgrade. There are different kinds of MXM slots though and they could have a completely new one for the 4870 so wait untill their's some solid information on it first.

MXM for the 4series cards look to be different the picture shows the card as the same size but some holes are in different position thanks for all you help guys much appreciated

Advertisement