Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Rant

Options
  • 08-01-2009 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Im self emloyed and in the motor trade. My insurance is up next week so decided to do a little shoping around.

I rang 7 different brokers around Ireland and since making the calls on monday 1 has rang me back with a quote. The rest, obviosly, couldnt even be bothered.

Im looking at a bill of around 2k so its by no means a mickey mouse amount.

Recession my a*s:mad:

RANT OVER

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Don't worry, with that attitude they'll go under soone enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 byrnemx

a 05 mitz pajero 3.2l, i'm 23 full clean licence no claims. FBD want 1,700 euro. is this right?? feppin backstards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

byrnemx wrote: »
    a 05 mitz pajero 3.2l, i'm 23 full clean licence no claims. FBD want 1,700 euro. is this right?? feppin backstards

Is it private or commercial ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 byrnemx

private. i dont have a so called business but i do a bit of farming for my father , would that make much of a difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Maybe I'm a little out of touch with the insurance prices these days!

But I wish I got a quote that low on my 1.2 punto when I first started driving!!

Count yourself lucky you were quoted at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

For the motor trade insurance, try Cullens in Nenagh - exceptionally helpful. Unfortunately I don't have their number handy. They were recommended to me for my commercial by someone who got a great motortrade quote from them, and I found them friendly, courteous, and efficient.

Otherwise try Gogans in Dublin. 01-2990299. I got my commercial insurance through them - roughly the same price as Cullens, but I had dealt with them before through work, which is what tipped the scales. Just as nice as Cullens to deal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

private. i dont have a so called business but i do a bit of farming for my father , would that make much of a difference?

big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭Barr

Commercial would be far cheaper to insure than a private policy with a 3.2 engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Maybe I'm a little out of touch with the insurance prices these days!

But I wish I got a quote that low on my 1.2 punto when I first started driving!!

Count yourself lucky you were quoted at all!

Actually i found when i started driving there wasnt that much difference between a 1litre and a 1.4, it was a rip off on a 1 litre but it was the same ripoff on a 1.4 and even a 1.6 just not that much of a difference between the three.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

I think what matters alot these days is the no cliams bonus(NCB).

im 27, 7 years full drivers license, no crashes. i had 5 years NCB under my own name and there was a slight confusion at one stage where that might have expired (thankfully it didnt !) but some places wouldnt even quote me with 0 years driving experience (even as a named driver) and im 27 years old !
    One place decided to be good to me and charge me €1800 on a 2003 2.0l lexus.
    Thankfully the 5 years NCB came through so i got a quote for 700 through AA with Sun alliance.

i worked out that if they didnt give me the NCB over the next 5 years i would have to pay an extra €3600 to insurance companies just to get me back to what im paying now.

I think its an absolute sham !
    *touch wood since i got lucky* !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

The insurance here is as ever a joke.
    I am with AA and not bad.

However www.nononsense.ie will give you a quote all online and you can bump up your excess to 2k etcetera, in my experience they are pretty cheap and you can play around to try and get the best quote for yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

Did you try ARB I always found the good. My last trade policy with them over a year ago now was €1300..

Advertisement