Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Train- Dublin to Sligo

Options
  • 08-01-2009 6:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hiya,

Could anyone tell me the cost of a return ticket from Dublin to Sligo for an adult?

I am planning a weekend away there and the stupid irishrail website doesn't give you any helpful information whatsoever!

Any help would be much appreciated :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

€44 5-day return, if I read the site right.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭dundealgan

Thanks Karoma!

Do you mind me asking what section of the site you went to to find that?

I entered the details to try to make reservations and it wouldnt let me do that. I scoured the timetables looking for details and found nothing. The only fare details I could see where the special offers.

It would be useful to know for future reference where i should be looking :pac:

thanks again!

Edit: I found it in the end, thank you :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

dundealgan wrote: »
    Thanks Karoma!

Do you mind me asking what section of the site you went to to find that?

I entered the details to try to make reservations and it wouldnt let me do that. I scoured the timetables looking for details and found nothing. The only fare details I could see where the special offers.

It would be useful to know for future reference where i should be looking :pac:

thanks again!

Edit: I found it in the end, thank you :-)

for some reason sligo route cant be booked on line, quite a big thread on the route some where on this (sligo) board as well

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Sligo Day Return €32/€44 - €32 is the fare Monday to Thursday & Saturdays and €44 on Fridays & Sundays

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_ticket/fares_enquiries.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Blimey at the weekend rate you'd be as well to try and get a 20 euro aer aran flight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

magnumlady wrote: »
    Blimey at the weekend rate you'd be as well to try and get a 20 euro aer aran flight.

It's a disgrace tbh the price of public transport in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They are still using the commuter trains as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

It's a disgrace tbh the price of public transport in this country.

its the same distance from bristol to london as dublin to sligo.............the former will cost you 120 sterling, i almost collapsed before i remembered someone else was paying for it.............

by the way, i never get the train, always use the coach................its 15 euro return weekdays and 27 at weekends i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

magnumlady wrote: »
    They are still using the commuter trains as well.

And they are bloody freezing.
    I got a lovely new train up the last time and one of those commuter things down and I was perished the whole way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

daithijjj wrote: »
    its the same distance from bristol to london as dublin to sligo.............the former will cost you 120 sterling, i almost collapsed before i remembered someone else was paying for it.............

Are you joking?
    I'm 18. In S-ummerhill, can't apply for a 'student ripoffcard' yet as I'm still in second level. I can't pay child rate as I am >16. Can't pay student rate as I'm not a student. Is it fair that I have to pay 45 quid for a journey to Dublin. It's not fair that anyone, even the employed pay 45 quid.

The Govt. want us to use public transport but yet they price us out of it. As someone said earlier, it's faster and just as cheap to fly to Dublin. Is it any way as enviromentally friendly. Eh... no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Are you joking?
    I'm 18. In S-ummerhill, can't apply for a 'student ripoffcard' yet as I'm still in second level. I can't pay child rate as I am >16. Can't pay student rate as I'm not a student. Is it fair that I have to pay 45 quid for a journey to Dublin. It's not fair that anyone, even the employed pay 45 quid.

The Govt. want us to use public transport but yet they price us out of it. As someone said earlier, it's faster and just as cheap to fly to Dublin. Is it any way as enviromentally friendly. Eh... no.

ehhhhhh...........am i missing something here?...........i said i never get the train, the coach is 15 return and in comparison to the train, you will at least be warm..............45 return at weekends on the train is very reasonable in terms of price but if you get the antique carriage your in for a few hours torture....................be thankfull your not from cork, that would cost over 100euro return this weekend from dublin.................and it will be at least 60 on a flight unless its booked well in advance at sligo airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

yep they want us to use public transport but when traveling with 2 it's far cheaper to go by car. After 7 or 8 you cant get any public transport back to sligo. When people visit me from Holland I often have to pick them up due to this.

Advertisement