Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing old unfused 250V plug for modern one

Options
  • 08-01-2009 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hey,

I've got a bit of equipment with one of those old 3-round-pin plugs, which Wikipedia informs me is a Type D (BS-546). It's 250V, 15A, with no fuse. The device it's attached to is a contact printer for making photographic prints, essentially a big metal box with 6 60W bulbs in the bottom & a timer. Would it be safe to put a normal plug on it instead, so I can plug it into a normal outlet? Should I put a fuse in the new plug, & if so, what rating?

Thanks!

ps: It's the second one listed under D (also referred to as M) if you want more info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_AC_power_plugs_and_sockets

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Yv wrote: »
    Hey,

I've got a bit of equipment with one of those old 3-round-pin plugs, which Wikipedia informs me is a Type D (BS-546). It's 250V, 15A, with no fuse. The device it's attached to is a contact printer for making photographic prints, essentially a big metal box with 6 60W bulbs in the bottom & a timer. Would it be safe to put a normal plug on it instead, so I can plug it into a normal outlet?

Ok so far you've told us the max ratting of the plug, whats the rating of the device? should be on a sticker / metal plate on the rear.

When was the device last used?

Are the blubs the only load in the device? is so 6 x 60W = 360w => 1.5A or so.

Should I put a fuse in the new plug, & if so, what rating?

Well with our standard 3 pin plug you've no choice, you have to put a fuse in it!

If the device is designed to be run off 230V AC, you can fit a standard plug and a 5A fuse should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Yv

The only info on the printer itself is that it's for 240V, the other stuff hasn't been filled in! But as far as I can tell the bulbs are the only thing in it that need power - the only other features on it are a start button, intensity dial and timer (and needless to say it ain't digital!). I don't know when it was used last, my ex works in a hospital lab & they were going to chuck it out because they don't use it anymore (they used to be standard in labs to make prints of negatives taken of microscope images but I'm guessing they've all gone digital now), but I assume it's been used in the last 5 years at least.

So standard plug + 5A fuse is the way to go?

Here's hoping it actually works after all this :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The only info on the printer itself is that it's for 240V, the other stuff hasn't been filled in! But as far as I can tell the bulbs are the only thing in it that need power - the only other features on it are a start button, intensity dial and timer (and needless to say it ain't digital!). I don't know when it was used last, my ex works in a hospital lab & they were going to chuck it out because they don't use it anymore (they used to be standard in labs to make prints of negatives taken of microscope images but I'm guessing they've all gone digital now), but I assume it's been used in the last 5 years at least.

So standard plug + 5A fuse is the way to go?

Here's hoping it actually works after all this :o

Yep standard plug will work correctly... 5A fuse should be grand...

I was just asking how long since it was used, just in case it hadn't been used in 30 years or something....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Out of interest, can you give us a photo of this piece or work??? I used to work with an old ammonia copier which used heat and buckets of ammonia to produce rather shoddy engineering diagrams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Standard plug will be fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement