Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you change?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭

Pretty simple, If you could change some things about Kilkenny or it's people what would it be?

Me?
    I'd get rid of the notion that hurlers are gods.
    I'd add a ice rink or something along the lines of that
    Change the members of the council who seem to say no to every good idea people want (ice rink, new shopping center and what not)

How about ye?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭shivkk06

yup, have to agree with your ideas there raze. Ice rink would be class. Could change the ppl going into pubs so when u go out you not mobbed by dubs or kids. that gets on my nerves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

shivkk06 wrote: »
    yup, have to agree with your ideas there raze. Ice rink would be class. Could change the ppl going into pubs so when u go out you not mobbed by dubs or kids. that gets on my nerves
    yeah damn kids**

people under 20:o

yes under 20 n half naked...think i getting old but i know i never went out dressed like someoff them.

wonder what parade be like when finished...all that marble be like ice rink

yes under 20 n half naked...think i getting old but i know i never went out dressed like someoff them.

wonder what parade be like when finished...all that marble be like ice rink
    18-20 half naked wimms is ok to me! (im only 20) though im all for chucking out scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

I would like to see a 3rd level college in Kilkenny.

• Advertisement

18-20 half naked wimms is ok to me! (im only 20) though im all for chucking out scum!

sorry raze forgot u were a kid lol only messing, yea way too much scum in the place,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Im a kid aswell, 20:p

I'd get rid of the halting sites, the butts, newpark, hebron etc.
    Also get the council to sort out facilities like an ice rink or someting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Have more facilities. I'd be too chicken to go near an ice-rink myself but I could see its merits for the braver amongst us. Maybe too a park for skateboarders.

Get a decent cinema with more than 4 screens that will show films aimed at people over the age of 14.

Less protectionism. I bet now with job losses all around the place, that Tesco in Callan would be very welcome indeed.

Put in a better traffic system in the city - one way or something like that would be nice.

Persuade the retailers on High Street to open for a few hours extra on a Thursday night. Some of us can't get into town during the day and would love to spend our money in your book centre/department store/shoe shop etc.

Better signposting. Not necessarily a problem for those of us who are here all the time but I know a couple of people who got lost in Kilkenny over the past couple of years.

Plug wrote: »
    Im a kid aswell, 20:p

I'd get rid of the halting sites, the butts, newpark, hebron etc.
    Also get the council to sort out facilities like an ice rink or someting.

not all them ppl in those areas are bad tho plug

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

not all them ppl in those areas are bad tho plug
    I know yeah but get rid of the bad ones! I used to live in hebron a long time ago:o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

I'd get rid of the notion that hurlers are gods.
    ?

never got that myself either,especially when people go out drinking that nite of all ireland,i mean,what does it really mean?,does the all ireland going to improve the standard of living in the county?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I know all towns are the same in Ireland when it comes to local politics, but KK's is appalling. I'd get rid of the self serving pr!cks that are on our councils. They rarely seem to do much beyond photo ops in housing estates that got some new flowerbeds. The level of protectionism within retail also is something that needs changing. We've shot ourselves in the foot on many occasions ie. Tesco, Citymart etc.

KK needs something more to offer its citizens with regards to jobs. The main industries are retail and catering/hospitality, both of which are going to be hit badly in the coming years. We need to attract more industry here.

I'd try shake off the image of being a hen/stag hotspot. I loathe them.

Do something, anything to get rid of the boyracer/idiots in their sh!tbox cars that race along the ringroad and around Woodies every night. Its the reason I'm awake right now actually.

Get rid of all those horrendous apartment that have been built around the town in the past 6-7 years. KK doesnt need that many apartments. I can see that they are suited to the centre of the town, but not in housing estates or on the Bennettsbride road roundabout. Apartments are generally bought for the buy-to-let market and attract clusters of transient tenants. Over the past few years migrants have made up most of these tenants, but what will happen when they start to move home, which they inevitably will. Will the lego-set blocks built in the likes of Robertshill, Margarets Field or even McDonagh end up as idle ghost blocks?

I've so much more I could rant on about but its too late...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Id change the opening times for late bars/nightclubs back to 2.30am

(i cant believe it hasnt been mentioned yet!):p

And i agree with everything else so far too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Fred83 wrote: »
    never got that myself either,especially when people go out drinking that nite of all ireland,i mean,what does it really mean?,does the all ireland going to improve the standard of living in the county?

Ah thats a bit harsh I agree I don't get the gaa = god idea but I think all ireland night is no different to if Liverpool won the Champions league again I know plenty of lads in ireland who would head out that night to celebrate it as well even if realistically it has no affect on the standard of living in the country.

It's a sport the team they follow has been successful they celebrate it. It's the small things like that which keep us going. Maybe because its almost an annual thing here its looked down on now but if offaly won the all ireland or any other county they'd all be out as well.

P.s. I don't follow Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

This might be an unpopular one but if i could change one thing it would be the people. Im not originally from here but i have been living in Kilkenny for 6 years and most of my friends are from outside kilkenny too. I think this is because Kilkenny people can be very clique-ey. Im not saying they are unfriendly but i find it hard to het accepted into the "inner circle." Dont get me wrong I love it here but i've had a better social life in other towns i've lived in. And by social life i dont just mean pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭97i9y3941

Ah thats a bit harsh I agree I don't get the gaa = god idea but I think all ireland night is no different to if Liverpool won the Champions league again I know plenty of lads in ireland who would head out that night to celebrate it as well even if realistically it has no affect on the standard of living in the country.

It's a sport the team they follow has been successful they celebrate it. It's the small things like that which keep us going. Maybe because its almost an annual thing here its looked down on now but if offaly won the all ireland or any other county they'd all be out as well.

P.s. I don't follow Liverpool.

i think i would nearly go out on the piss meself if any other county like offaly or leitrim won the all ireland *cause i would be celebrating my winnings from the bookies lol

jiggajt wrote: »
    This might be an unpopular one but if i could change one thing it would be the people. Im not originally from here but i have been living in Kilkenny for 6 years and most of my friends are from outside kilkenny too. I think this is because Kilkenny people can be very clique-ey. Im not saying they are unfriendly but i find it hard to het accepted into the "inner circle." Dont get me wrong I love it here but i've had a better social life in other towns i've lived in. And by social life i dont just mean pubs.
    I'll agree with that especially with the pub scene, passed amber blacks down towards joe is usually all the people from town and passed that are people from the county and it's hard to make new friends if your not a big drinker.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭jiggajt

it's hard to make new friends if your not a big drinker.

Actually I am a failrly big drinker but i still find it hard. I usually drink around parliment street. It's more of a general attitude im on about. I guess its more of a cynicism but i suppose its easy to be cynical when the town is full of country lads and lassies coming in to town to get plastered and stag and hen nights everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Add a university
    I'd like to be able to work in Kilkenny, so I'd add some software houses

nuttz wrote: »
    Add a university
    I'd like to be able to work in Kilkenny, so I'd add some software houses

they're are a couple of software companies in town I know of one which is looking to hire developers at the moment. send me a mail if you'd like to know about it.

• Advertisement

Fred83 wrote: »
    i think i would nearly go out on the piss meself if any other county like offaly or leitrim won the all ireland *cause i would be celebrating my winnings from the bookies lol

heh it could happen Offaly are a few years from it but have the bones of a good squad. I think the bookies were offering 80-1 offaly to win the all ireland last year must see what they're offering this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

Nightwish wrote: »
    I know all towns are the same in Ireland when it comes to local politics, but KK's is appalling.

KK needs something more to offer its citizens with regards to jobs. The main industries are retail and catering/hospitality, both of which are going to be hit badly in the coming years. We need to attract more industry here.

I'd try shake off the image of being a hen/stag hotspot. I loathe them.

Do something, anything to get rid of the boyracer/idiots in their sh!tbox cars that race along the ringroad and around Woodies every night. Its the reason I'm awake right now actually.

Get rid of all those horrendous apartment that have been built around the town in the past 6-7 years. KK doesnt need that many apartments.

+1 on all those points!!. And much sympathy if you live near a boyracer hotspot. I know (might be too strong a word...) some guys in Kieran's that are into all that crap. Scares the sh1t outta me when i hear some of the stuff they talk about. I used to dismiss it as stereotyping,but they genuinely dont have any concept of intelligence. Nothing scarier than hearing someone say "well boi, i found dis deadly road out i' da country tha no-one uses. Gonna bring the civic out there and fookin' bomb it!". :(
    I would like to see a 3rd level college in Kilkenny.

Yes!!.That'd be far more important than an ice rink. It'd bring more business to kilkenny, more residents to fill out those empty apartments, and maybe (just maybe) if they knew the rest of the country was sending students here, the council might just feel a little self-conscious about the level of crap they're at fault for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 TradMick84

i agree with the point made about building gaudy apartments all over the city when the demand isn't there. i mean look at the amount of empty shop frontage around.... the place built at the v top of john street for example (where thekk voice was) or friary street..

Also, if i had a chance i would blow up those ****ty car parks... i mean they were built on class locations of pretty much important medieval sites, beside other medieval sites... the car park on ormonde st is rediculous.. i would even let the town planners access to mikado of lego towns let alone real cities!

as to the point of scummers... i say ban all people who wear trackies tucked into socks! wats the story with that.... move to tallaght if you want to dress like a sham.

i would like to change also other counties opinions that because your from kilkenny you have an interest in hurling. i hate it u mention kilkenny and immediately the conversation goes to hurling.....like a red rag to a bull for me. no offence yea they good i suppose but i dont give a ****.

later opening hours be good too....i moved back down for dub recently n was out didnt know what was going on in o faolains at 1:30 when drink stopped been severed was not impressed thought had another hours drinking time :mad:

maybe should have banned the dubs

think the vintners would have a heart attack if dubs were to be banned from briniging hen and stags in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

i'd make the country coucil salt every pavement in KK city,
    Yesterday i had to walk a road (quiet raod but fairly active at peak times and very city center) and because it wasnt salted, i looked like a complete idiot trying to walk it! think a picture of a female in a skirt and looking hassled because shes late and drivers are driving slowly by (and laughing) because the road isnt salted either!!

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

KatCookie wrote: »
    i'd make the country coucil salt every pavement in KK city,
    Yesterday i had to walk a road (quiet raod but fairly active at peak times and very city center) and because it wasnt salted, i looked like a complete idiot trying to walk it! think a picture of a female in a skirt and looking hassled because shes late and drivers are driving slowly by (and laughing) because the road isnt salted either!!

/rant
    Poor you kat, but to be fair to the council, they have been salting the roads recently, and fairly early too. They were doing the pavements outside the tech at about 8:15 yesterday,and did the same to much of the city centre. Although there were probably a lot that they didn't bother with :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

Don't think its been said yet but i'd move supermacs out of high street! Don't like where it is in town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭KatCookie

Ravage1616 wrote: »
    Don't think its been said yet but i'd move supermacs out of high street! Don't like where it is in town.
    Why do people have to constantly move things out of town? Its grand where it is! i'm not the hugest fan but, its city center, its cheap, not too far to walk, it'll fill me up for a while, its irish (in this economy blah blah blah), closer than Mac Donalds, its open late (remember going there after going to the theatre ages age and it was SO handy!) and its not completely filled with scum bags. Need more reasons?
    Poor you kat, but to be fair to the council, they have been salting the roads recently, and fairly early too. They were doing the pavements outside the tech at about 8:15 yesterday,and did the same to much of the city centre. Although there were probably a lot that they didn't bother with :o.

Yeah, just a pity they didnt do that road i was on.. oh well, never again.. hopefully!

Advertisement