Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shower - No Isolation Switch?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I got an electric shower fitted a while back and the guy didnt fit an isolation switch, he said I didnt need one? He did hook it up the the fuse board though with a separte circuit breaker. I have been told that this is against regulation? Is it safe to use?
    Also, the water pressure coming in is too low so the water wont heat, the service guy said their must be somehting wrong with the water feed, ie blockage? any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lb163

The shower has to have an isolation switch it does not complie with ETCI wiring regulations if not fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

it might be best to stop using it til you get it checked over .you probably don't have an rcbo(the right tripswitch) either and god knows what else wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

The shower has to have an isolation switch it does not complie with ETCI wiring regulations if not fitted.
    This is correct. All fixed appliences such as the shower should have some means of local isolation.
    He did hook it up the the fuse board though with a separte circuit breaker.

A seperate breaker (MCB) is required but this alone is not enough.
    If it is the instantanious type of shower (that heats the water as you require it). An example of an instantanious would be a Trition T90. This type needs its own RCD and MCB or its own RCBO. An RCBO is a MCB abd RCD combined into 1 unit.

The way to identify the RCD or RCB is that it will have a test button on the front of it often marked "test" or simply "T".

This is a very important device, this device is far more important than the isolator. Sharing the RCD that the sockets use is no longer permitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 eatsloads

Took a look and it does have its own RCBO (MCB with Test Button?), 30mA and 65A written on it....does it still need the isolation switch? If so, what is the purpose of it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

An RCBO is more than an MCB with a test button. A 65A breaker is too high though.

A switch shouldn't be too hard to install once there's enough cable (there probably is). It's mainly for local isolation I think and it's important. Call the electrician in, there's a sticky on the main page listing some contractors :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

Mr Magnolia
    An RCBO is more than an MCB with a test button
    Correct. But the test button is a good way for someone non-electrical to differentiate between an MCB and an RCD or an RCBO.

Mr Magnolia
    A 65A breaker is too high though
    It would be, I would imagine the 65A is actually 63A.

OP are you sure it is an RCBO not an RCD???

I would guess that this is an RCD as opposed to an RCBO in which case it should be then feeding a 32 or 40A MCB, if this is the case it is OK.

Is this the case???
    does it still need the isolation switch?
    Yes it does to comply with current regulations.
    what is the purpose of it?
    This is so that the appliance can be isolated localy for maintenance purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 lb163

I should think that the RCD is a 63 amp and not 65.
    Isolation can be done by fitting a pull cord switch or a switch mounted outside the bathroom door

Advertisement