Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renters market?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

hi all,
    i'm currently looking for a new place to rent with my oh at the moment we are paying 1200 a month in our current apartment, we have various reasons as to why we want to move.
    We finally found the perfect place last night after weeks of searching and i was just wondering is it worth my while to haggle a bit with the landlord or would he get a bit p'd off and decide not to give us the place anymore.
    Any advice would be appreciated please. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Always haggle. For everything.

If the place costs more than you want to pay and you're prepared to walk away if the landlord won't budge, you have nothing to lose.

Maybe if you turn up with previous references, a work reference and first month's rent and security deposit in hand, the landlord will know you're serious and might be open to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

00112984 wrote: »
    Always haggle. For everything.

+1
    You'd haggle on a car but you wouldn't haggle on accomadation which may cost far more over over 12 months?
    Haggle like a cattle dealer!
    Everyday the property is vacant it's costing the landlord money and they'd prefer to get a good and reliable tenant in even if it meant a reduction in their asking price. And if you are a reliable tenant with references and a permanant full-time job, be sure to say this.

Unless you're renting in some rural area with few options or maybe going to somewhere like Galway with 30,000 students arriving in August/Septemeber, you'll get a discount.
    And even then, all the landlord can do is say no

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

how long has the place been up for rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Julietta

I am moving to rented accommodation soon, wanted to pay in the region of €1,200 per month, that didn't stop me looking at places that were €1,350 per month and telling the agents that €1,200 is all I had, two of the places I looked at were willing to knock €150 per month off the rent, it's always worth a shot.

I know what you mean about being afraid to haggle in case you irritate the landlord and they let it to someone else, the place I'm moving to is so absolutely perfect for me that I can't quite believe my luck, but as a poster below said, all they can do is say no and haggling can be done in a good natured, "sure it was worth a try" way that means you won't start off on the wrong foot with your landlord.

Haggling is the way of the future, I've turned into such a cheeky mare since I got €150 per month knocked off my rent, I'll be haggling over the price of a pint of milk soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭buzzybee

It's been up for rent for about a month i think, the place was up on daft with no pictures and a very vague description so i was thinking that may had have something to do with it.
    Well anyway, deposit is down and we did ask if we could lower the rent but he said he was already after knocking off 200e in comparison to last year, so happy with the place anyway :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement