Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How much to re-attach a rear-view mirror?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

After threatening to take a nose-dive for a few weeks, my rear-view mirror finally fell off today.:eek:
    I've tried a re-attachment kit but that was as adhesive as water.:mad:
    Does anyone have a rough estimate of how much it would cost to get it stuck back on?
    Dont want to walk in somewhere and get a shock when they hand over the bill.
    Is autoglass the best place to go? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd try some super glue but it'll only stick on a completely dry clean surface, rub down with alcohol and a dry tissue then give it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

If possible, remove the plate that sticks to the windscreen from the rest of the mirror - makes things much easier.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

super glue wont work for too long, there is a special item for this, loctite rear view mirror glue, its basicaly some superglue with a fine mesh that helps bond the mirror to window properly, i got it in hardware store [caulfields galway]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I'd say if you drop one of the lads in any windscreen place a fiver they'd do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

milltown wrote: »
    I'd say if you drop one of the lads in any windscreen place a fiver they'd do it for you.

Cheers i might give this a shot tried the loctite thingy and no joy:mad:

cheers for the help lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Give the contact point on the mirror a bit of a sanding and wipe off dust etc. Try one of those double sided sticky pads only €2 or so. They do work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭Damien360

Notch000 wrote: »
    super glue wont work for too long, there is a special item for this, loctite rear view mirror glue, its basicaly some superglue with a fine mesh that helps bond the mirror to window properly, i got it in hardware store [caulfields galway]

This is what you are looking for. Loctite developed this for rear view mirror attachment. The mesh is not to help the glue but is there to prevent the glue damaging the glass. This was seen only in extreme cold countries of Sweden and Norway etc. The cold causes expansion and contraction of the glue on the glass and caused a crack. The mesh prevents this from occuring. Probalbly also gives a rougher surface for the glue to bond easier.

Failing getting this try the loctite that comes in 2 tubes. One tube for one side and the other tube for the opposite side. Sticks anything permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Hal1 wrote: »
    Give the contact point on the mirror a bit of a sanding and wipe off dust etc. Try one of those double sided sticky pads only €2 or so. They do work.
    Jesus I wouldn't go at my windows with sandpaper!

Op you're not doing it right. Make sure the surface is completely clean and free from grease etc. Those cheap Halfords kits have worked for me in the past. Just use an alcohol wipe and some kitchen paper to clean it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Jesus I wouldn't go at my windows with sandpaper!

I didn't say sand the window. ' contact point on the mirror' see attached.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

I got mine done in Autoglass in Kilkenny this week - they don't fix them as a rule but the guy spent a couple of minutes and had it done for me... because they don't generally do them they didn't charge so a fiver for a pint was all it cost me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Hal1 wrote: »
    I didn't say sand the window. ' contact point on the mirror' see attached.
    Sorry misread that

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭gibbon75

This one is really works:
    Ford main dealers sell a double sided tape for mirrors (can't recall the part number :( ) .Would cost you about 3-4 Euros.Clean the base of your mirror and the windscreen as well.Then heat up the base of the mirror with heatgun (or torch ),but don't overdo it ;)
    Then stick the tape on it,press it down hard while the base is hot.

I don't know what's so special in the Ford tape,but it always does the trick and the result will last for years.

Advertisement