Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traveling with my airsoft guns...

Options
  • 08-01-2009 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭

Hi All,

Just wondering, i was traveling down the road the other day and right outside a local airsoft field (Dundalk) there was a customs checkpoint.

Im just wondering if i have my guns (rifle & sidearm) in the boot and they find it, how do i explain it and basically what do i do.. has anyone ever been pulled over with them in the car?

Stupid question i know, but im just worried about it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

your a terrorist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Sinister747

conceited wrote: »
    your a terrorist !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha, Only on the weekends, During the week i am asking questions from accomplices :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

firstly i have learned that you do say airsoft guns you should say AEG or airsoft device

i suppose that you should just be honest to the GARDAI and CUSTOMS tell them that you have an airsoft device in the boot and they will let you on your way as they are not illegal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,746 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Stevo93 wrote: »
    firstly i have learned that you do say airsoft guns you should say AEG or airsoft device

i suppose that you should just be honest to the GARDAI and CUSTOMS tell them that you have an airsoft device in the boot and they will let you on your way as they are not illegal

It's fine to call them guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Hi All,

Just wondering, i was traveling down the road the other day and right outside a local airsoft field (Dundalk) there was a customs checkpoint.

Im just wondering if i have my guns (rifle & sidearm) in the boot and they find it, how do i explain it and basically what do i do.. has anyone ever been pulled over with them in the car?

Stupid question i know, but im just worried about it

Rule #1 of situations like this would be to explain what you have before they open the boot, and explain what they're for, and that they are legal. Make sure there are no surprises for anyone. Offer to show it to them.

When showing it to them, don't actually take it out of the boot. Take it out of the bag, leave it sitting there in the boot, and if they ask, show them the magwell with the hole where the BBs go in, and if it's plastic, knock on it and show them it's plastic.

This goes with ferry travel as well. I went on the Ferry recently with AEGs in the boot, and harbour police had no problems at all once they were told in advance, and got to see what it was. If you're a regular at a site, have the phone number of the site in your phone so they have someone to call to verify.

Personally I always travel with mags and BBs in a separate bag, and the gun itself in a case (doesn't have to be a hard case, soft rifle case will do, most retailers do one), with battery disconnected. Makes people feel better to see it's 'deactivated for transport'.

I'd imagine this would especially apply up near dundalk/the border/etc.

It's unfortunate that a lot of Gardai don't know what airsoft is still (although I've seen a recent article on Airsoft in "Garda Review" that explains things well). If they want to take stuff off you, you're best not resisting. Look them in the eye, be firm and honest about the devices being legal, but don't resist. You're in the right, and a lot of people will often back down when faced with a calm, firm tone, rather than loud protest. Even though they might be mistaken, you're better off co-operating in the long run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

"Gun" is fine, that's what they are. The word to avoid is "weapon", because that implies an intention to cause harm and that's the exact opposite of what airsoft is all about.

If a Garda/Police officer wants to search your vehicle, it might be a good idea to stress the word "replica" right at the start. They'll know what that means, long before you start explaining about airsoft.

(Soft-sided cases are usually fine for surface transport. You only need a hard-sided and lockable case for transport by air.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I prefer the word "toy" to replica,.,
    The copper would probably get the gitters and decide to take them for testing of you said you had a replica gun in the boot, theres plenty of cops out there that dont know airsoft exists and think that "pellet guns" are illegal.,
    (pellet guns being what uninformed people would call them in the past)

Its severely unlikely that a garda would just pick you out to have a look in your boot though., so the golden rule is, play it cool as a normal checkpoint, don't panic, your not doing anything illegal. don't tell him nothing about them unless he asks to have a look in the car or asks "are ya carrying anything ya shouldn't be"., if you look nervous as f&*k then hes gonna pick up on that and wonder if theres more to the story. never take them out of the boot, explain to him what they are and if he wants them taken out for a closer look, let him do it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Sinister747

Thanks for the help, also yes Airsoft Gun, Airsoft Rifle etc is fine; as mentioned above Airsoft WEAPON is not recommended at all..

Again thanks for all your help... and if you see me on the news then you gave bad recommendations and should be ashamed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Stevo93

ok my bad :(

still learning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Look them in the eye, be firm and honest about the devices being legal, but don't resist. You're in the right, and a lot of people will often back down when faced with a calm, firm tone, rather than loud protest. Even though they might be mistaken, you're better off co-operating in the long run.

They're just doing their job, their main aim is not to hassle or harass innocent people, so if you're polite they're more likely to treat you well. Remember, when dealing with the guards, or any other authority figures, they are in charge, even if you're not breaking any laws they can still make life difficult for you if you give them a reason to.

If they do decide to take any of your airsoft guns for testing or whatever, be sure to get a receipt for them, the name of the officer who takes them, and the station they are based in so that you can contact them about getting them back when they've been checked out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement