Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

External Dual Output Sound Device

• 08-01-2009 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Lads,

Very new to all this so please keep things to laymans english:p

My low end laptop is running a very basic internal sound card. I want to run dual outputs (Speakers and headphones) and a mic(kareoke might be fun...) but my laptop only has the basic line in/line out pair. I'm guessing that I need an external dual soundcard, or are there any other options? I have a PC ExpressCard slolt, USB and RJ45. An expresscard slot would be preferable but if its gonna cost alot more, then either of the other two are fine.

So, suggestions/comments/links would be very much apreciated.

Thanks,
    L_B.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/ExpressCard/IndigoDJx/index.php

dual output expresscard. I use a PCMCIA one on my older laptop... you'll need to use the line in on the existing soundcard.

I have no experience with USB or Firewire cards, and their bulk compared to a card scares me off but I'm sure others here will have recommendations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MYOB wrote: »
    http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/ExpressCard/IndigoDJx/index.php

dual output expresscard. I use a PCMCIA one on my older laptop... you'll need to use the line in on the existing soundcard.

I have no experience with USB or Firewire cards, and their bulk compared to a card scares me off but I'm sure others here will have recommendations

Nice, ebay is giving me a little over 200USD shipped from the US, thats gonna be a around €150(210.00 USD = 153.717 EUR ), but there is the possibility of tax and duty...

This is just the older version correct?

Anyways, I'll see if I can get a lower price but that seems pretty reasonable. Really must start expanding my collection...:) Thanks MYOB.

Yeah, the IndigoDJ cardbus is what I have. Paid about €120 delivered from the US for one officially second hand but the cable ties were still on the included audio leads and the sellotape on the CD wrapper - never used. Customs didn't find my one as it came by An Post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

http://www.thomann.de/ie/esi_maya_44_usb.htm

On the way to me at the moment, don't know if it's what you're looking for, I'm going to be using it to hook up decks and mixer to laptop, but it has 4 outputs too, and it's cheap enough!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭uprooted shane

Not sure if it's what your looking for but I got a USB sound card for fifteen euro in peats in blancerstown. Works like a charm. Got a mic input and standard headphone output. Tiny little thing but works like a charm

• Advertisement

Those 15 quid units are single output and terrible audio quality (got one here I used on a laptop with a dead headphone socket before).

Ok, done some more messing and reading. Mouse simply wont do. I need a controller.

Would I be correct in saying that this eliminates the need for the IndigoDJX as it will do the dual outputs?

The Ion iCue is cheap but a little basic in my eyes, while its older brother the Numark Total Control is perfect, but will mean digging deeper. Any opinions?

Also, Logitech USB PS2 Mics are perfect for Kareoke from the review I've read and the sample given. Will I need to cover them to reduce background noise?

Finally, my software(PCDJ-VJ) wont see my bog standard headset mic. Bloody cheap onboard soundcard. I'm gonna see if I could use two usb mics, one for me and one for singer(during kareoke).

Thanks for the help lads,
    L_B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭W1llz0rz

I have a Numark Total Control, and it's fantastic. If you get this you will not be disappointed, only bad thing about it is there is no headphone slot, so you'll have to get the DJ IO, which is made to go with it, which is pretty much a basic soundcard, Mic input, Headphone slot, and then your output for speakers.

If you don't have the cash for that, go for a Behringer BCD 3000, not as good as the Numark in my (and most other peoples) opinion. But it has got the built in headphone slot.

Time to revive a dead thread:p

Ok, first off thanks Willzorz. The Indigo DJX is gonna cost circa 230, the DJ IO is 95. IO does the same thing as the DJX, but is slightly bigger, worth it for the saving.

My birthday is at the end of this month, and I'll be getting the TC then. Done a lot of reading, and its perfect.

Only one question. Is the DJ IO a completely independent soundcard, or a hub of ports? There is some issue with Sigmatel HD Audio cards that inhibits the use of "MicMonitor"(Looping the mic out). The value is removed from the registry by Dell. I can add it, but that causes my DirectX sound drivers to corrupt and then my mixing sofware fails. It all works fine on the desktop, but thats no use to me:rolleyes: If IO takes full responsibility for sound processing, then I can avoid all the sigmatel drivers and the mic should work fine, if not, I need the DJX...

The DJ IO is a PCMCIA soundcard and the DJX is an Express Card. Most laptops will support ONLY ONE of these expansion formats. If you get the wrong one its a useless flat bit of metal!! Additionally a DJ IO is single output single input, the DJ (on its own) is dual output. Very important distinction.

All of them are completely independent sound cards.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    The DJ IO is a PCMCIA soundcard and the DJX is an Express Card. Most laptops will support ONLY ONE of these expansion formats. If you get the wrong one its a useless flat bit of metal!! Additionally a DJ IO is single output single input, the DJ (on its own) is dual output. Very important distinction.

All of them are completely independent sound cards.

You're a little off there I'm afraid. DJ IO is neither PCMCIA or Express, its USB! And, its dual output, mic input and headphone jack equipped too. Its the sister product that I somehow missed:rolleyes:

This is the DJ IO, I beive you mixed it with teh Echo Indigo DJ(or DJX)(As above)
    djio.jpg

Indeed I did. Oops. They sell an Indigo IO which is single output, single input - the source of my confusion.

http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoIO/index.php

I would always go for the internal card over the external unit. Bulk is everything when you're lugging lots of stuff around... but the price difference is quite a bit. All Echo units are complete sound cards; so that IO one won't have that codec problem either.

Missed your last post.

In any case, TC arrived today. IO is on the way right now. I'll be able to fit the TC, my laptop and the IO in my satchel, so I'll be ok for now:) Money over comfort:p

Thanks for all your help,
    Lethal.

Advertisement