Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Canon MD205 Camcorder

• 08-01-2009 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi all, just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me some much-needed advice....

Just got one of these camcorders, 1st camcorder I've owned so pretty clueless.

Firstly, I was surprised to discover that it uses tapes - thought these had been more or less replaced with discs/memory cards at this stage but obviously not? Are there re-usable tapes available to buy (like CD-RWs) or can cassettes only be used once?

I'm hoping to transfer videos to my laptop, but am I right in thinking I need a firewire port on my computer? I don't have one of these, but I read somewhere that you can get a firewire hub/card if your computer doesn't have a firewire port?

Presumably I also need a firewire cable then?

Re. drivers, software etc., should the drivers be pre-installed on my Windows XP system?

Someone mentioned to me that I might need Windows Movie Maker software, I thought Windows Media Player might've been enough but maybe not? I'm not going to be doing much editing - basically just looking to play what I've recorded....

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi fiona - I'm going to move this over to the video forum. While there are a few over here that dabble in video its mainly a photography forum so I reckon you might get better quality answers from the video forum.

Note to mods on Video forum - I think this is better on your patch - if not send it back.

As to your query and my very basic knowledge of the area. The tapes are probably Mini DV - completely reusable and you can get them from any electrical store or video outlet (think i've even seen some in Xtravision). I think the Mini DV tapes are older technology but still very much in use.

Your camcorder will have an interface. Mine had a firewire port which I connected to my laptop's firewire. You can get expansion cards for your PC with firewire. You could try a maplin or currys maybe.

Windows movie maker works a treat. Media player will only do the player thing so you'll need some other programme. Windows movie maker is part of Xp and Vista now. It is basic but to do a basic editing job with a few transition effects and a bit of titling, then its fine. Easy to use but I doubt that those in that business would even rate it.

I don't recall needing specific drivers for mine when I connected it up (but that was a while ago). It may well be plug and pray, eh.... play. I think generally if there is a driver disk with it, then have it at the ready.

Anyway i'm sure far better information and opinion will ensue when I move the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Princess Fiona

Thank you for that, and apologies for posting in wrong forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 southernman

Hi all, just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to give me some much-needed advice....

Just got one of these camcorders, 1st camcorder I've owned so pretty clueless.

Firstly, I was surprised to discover that it uses tapes - thought these had been more or less replaced with discs/memory cards at this stage but obviously not? Are there re-usable tapes available to buy (like CD-RWs) or can cassettes only be used once?

I'm hoping to transfer videos to my laptop, but am I right in thinking I need a firewire port on my computer? I don't have one of these, but I read somewhere that you can get a firewire hub/card if your computer doesn't have a firewire port?

Presumably I also need a firewire cable then?

Re. drivers, software etc., should the drivers be pre-installed on my Windows XP system?

Someone mentioned to me that I might need Windows Movie Maker software, I thought Windows Media Player might've been enough but maybe not? I'm not going to be doing much editing - basically just looking to play what I've recorded....

Thanks in advance!
    Hi Fiona
    Tapes are reusable although they are cheap I am inclined to keep them as masters. you will need a firewire port on your computer. you will need a DV to firewire cable available at most computer stores. PC world has them.you can buy the card with movie making software my recommendation would be Adobe premier although windows movie maker is a good way to start
    I think this is free to download on msn.
    What ports have you on your computer?
    Drop me a pm for further info

Advertisement