Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperately seeking heating help....

Options
  • 08-01-2009 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Quite simply (and I know I'm going to sound like an absolute ding bat because we are living in a duplex in the park for nearly two years now) I don't know how to use our heating system properly......

There I said it, I admitted it. Wheeee wwwwww weight off.

One or other of us has always been home early enough to just turn the dial on the thermostat (upstairs beside the Bathroom door) and bingo warm rads when needed. But situ changed and now we all work so far away from here it ain't possible and the teach is a bit chilly over these last few nights....

I have programmed the timer in the kitchen to come and off to heat the water but am completely at a loss as to how to make it heat the rads and water at the same time while on aforementioned timer......

Now i'm not usually a religious guy but if you are up there (insert your name here) any chance of a bit of an explanatory passage on where I am going wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Set timer and leave t'stat up high. water and heat will come on together.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

That is something we have tried and it does not seem to work. The heating automatically kicks in once the thermostat is turned beyond about fifteen. And even if the timer has been set will not come on or off with it?Methinks it could be broken unless there is a switch or handle that is keepng the hot water and heating separated on the system?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Quackhart wrote: »
    That is something we have tried and it does not seem to work. The heating automatically kicks in once the thermostat is turned beyond about fifteen. And even if the timer has been set will not come on or off with it?Methinks it could be broken unless there is a switch or handle that is keepng the hot water and heating separated on the system?

We keep the dial in the hall upstairs to around 20c and programme the timer in the kitchen to come on in the morning til 8 and then in afternoon from 5-7. Have you opened the door on the boiler in kitchen next to the timer and made sure its not pointing to the sun icon? It might be set to summer still. It has to be around to at least 2pm if you were looking at it like a clock face.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Okay so it seems that the temp on the glow-worm 18si needs to be set higher than the temp upstairs. I'l try this and see what happens.Thanks to one and all. Unless of course it does not work....then i'll be bakc for more hlep.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

1-the temp dial on the boiler just controls how hot the radiators get - you're best off leaving this at 12 o'clock.

2-the electronic timer determines when the boiler is on and off

3-the upstairs thermostat controls electronic valves between the boiler and the radiators - when the house reached 20 degrees (or whatever you've set it to) the valve closes and no more hot water enters the system - the boiler will keep running though if the timer is set to "on".

simplest way to run things - leave the thermostat at 20, leave the dial on the boiler at "12 o'clock" and use the electronic timer to control when the heating comes on and off. In the summer you can turn the thermostat down to stop the radiators from coming on but you'll still get hot water.

• Advertisement
Advertisement