Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic Athlone

Options
  • 08-01-2009 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭

Hey peeps,
    You helped me before (see thread below) and I've decided to live in Athlone (working in Moate), few places in mind, some just off the by pass but I got a thing for water and the idea of living in the town centre (the strand area) appeals to me. Wha's traffic like in Athlone town centre (I know the answer is probably 'bad' but I hope some of you can follow the town's one way system better than I can).
    How horrific would getting to the bypass in the morning and coming off it in the evening and travelling to the Strand be?

Really think I prefer town centre living is preferable to Cossan etc which seem a bit cut off but if replies aren't favourable I can be persuaded,

Any thoughts welcome asap please!!
    Cheers
    Dickie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Well Dickie... (if that is your real name!!!)

town centre traffic in the morning is grand. Its the stupid junctions around the town outskirts such as ballymahon rd, roscommon rd into town, dual carraige way slip rds that are a pain in the morning.

Living in town ismore expensive than living outside. Coosan is a real nice part of Athlone with pubs and all that close by! I wouldn't write off coosan!

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Thanks for the reply! (Who wouldn't want to be called Dickie? I'm still bitter my last work picked Abbamania over Dickie Rock for our Christmas party...but moving swiftly along...)

Will I be going against the traffic or are the junctions jammers in and out of Athlone in the mornings?

Now I know you're Cossan Resident's Association PRO so I must make it clear that I'm not down on Cossan but I've a romantic sociological and urban geography attraction to town centre living (and moving here from Dublin the cost of living in Athlone town centre isn't a deal breaker). That said if it'll take me ages to get through it on the way to work every morning Cossan's an attractive option...but if everybody in Cossan is trying to get out of Cossan in the morning clogging up the slip roads....sorry thinking as I type...Is it a catch 22 type thingy?

Suggestions always appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

hey op, you should check out the jolly mariner or silver quay apartments, both on the shannon,both near town centre and really near the dual carriage way with no traffic in the mornings or evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭spitonmedickie

Cheers Bored,
    I'll look into Silver Quay when Daft's back up after maintenance. Remember seeing them across the river and they do look well. But seriously, so they expect people to have 'Jolly Mariner' as their address???:p

Getting ON to the N6 is easy from all of the junctions, it's getting off that's the problem as those roads can get very busy, can take an age to turn right!
    Cooson road is much quieter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

Getting off the bypass coming into town from the west at Coosan could not be easier.

Simply do what our Taxi drivers do........go left then do an illegal u-turn.Then smile and give the single finger salute to all those other law abiding idiots, ie the rest of us.

Advertisement