Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin nuMaps Lifetime finally launched

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

Thanks for spotting that - I see that it is not available until the 22nd Jan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Emmerly

Seems expensive!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

€90 when you translate the $119, bit cheaky alright.

MC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Emmerly

Whats the advantage? I believe newer models receive updates free anyway?

Nope, only for the 60 days after first acquisition, and in most cases you get nothing at all as they only brought out the update once a year.

MC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Patrickof

I think it's €119 not $119 as it identifies you from when you registered as being European.

I tried to buy it though and it wouldn't let me provide my country and as this was a required paramter it wouldn't then let me go to the payment page. I'll try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have a Nuvi 250 and that is a very expensive upgrade and potentially a complete waste of money because in October I attempted to upgrade a friend's 250 to the 2009 maps but it said it could only fit one region on the unit, this happened even when I inserted a blank 2GB SD card so my friend now has effectively a Nuvi 200 having purchased a 250 in July.

So for my own 250 which has the 2008 maps, my attitude is that if I paid my 119 dollars or whatever to upgrade to 2009 maps, I could end up with a Nuvi 250 with just UK and Ireland maps and then when I want to use the unit in France I'd have to fork out and buy a brand new unit.

The moral of the story is that this type of subscription is not a good purchase if there's a danger of the unit running out of memory in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

I have just tried (twice) a few minutes ago but there appears to be a problem with the download manager. Anyone else having similar problems?

Patrickof wrote: »
    I think it's €119 not $119 as it identifies you from when you registered as being European.

I tried to buy it though and it wouldn't let me provide my country and as this was a required paramter it wouldn't then let me go to the payment page. I'll try it again.

Another update that Garmin can shove where the sun don't shine, who do they think they are charging the same in euro as Dollars :rolleyes: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭peking97

coylemj wrote: »
    So for my own 250 which has the 2008 maps, my attitude is that if I paid my 119 dollars or whatever to upgrade to 2009 maps, I could end up with a Nuvi 250 with just UK and Ireland maps and then when I want to use the unit in France I'd have to fork out and buy a brand new unit.

The moral of the story is that this type of subscription is not a good purchase if there's a danger of the unit running out of memory in the near future.

I have the 250W and have just updated to '09 maps using the nuMaps Lifetime feature and there's no problem loading Western Europe on the internal memory (i.e. no SD card required).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone read the T&C's?

Some interesting titbits:
    "you will receive up to four (4) map Data updates per year"
    Up to four = any number of updates between 0 and 4.

"until your product’s useful life expires"
    Hmm.. Who defines useful? A good opportunity for them to wiggle their way out by updating the mapping system (e.g. the change they made from non-NT to NT).

"or Garmin no longer receives map Data from NAVTEQ"
    Admittedly, they have a contract with Navteq until 2015, and your device will be far less than 'useful' by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

i
    go
    ftw

........classs
    if in doubt , ask nobody

:confused:

Oh wait, I just decrypted your post.
    You're recommending a product called IGO 8. Hmm, just googled it. Looks cool. Not much use on a Garmin though..
    Off-topic, but are the new features like 3D buildings, signposts and lane assist available for Irish maps?

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

:D:D

yes igo 8 has buildings lane assist and signposts

ive seen the buildings but no signposts.
    hope to see the lane markers next time im in the capital

and btw the ask nobody should have read ask "thenobody" hes a boardsie who is a genius on all things igo. he may even be able to get it working for you on a garmin ( if it has a SD slot) ask him

regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭eirman

I just purchased this product - It cost €120 including 21.5% VAT

A tip - if you go into mygarmin the product is not there. The link at the top of this thread will take your cc data and go nowhere. You have to go to garmin.com - clicks on maps at the top of the page, then update maps. You will be directed to mygarmin later. The 10/11 hour process involves ......

> updating the your pc-garmin software
    > updating the software on your device
    > Installing a multipart downloader which supports resuming
    > Downloading 3 Gigs of map data
    > Extraction of same
    > Uploading map data to your device

Strange thing - I did not have to enter the 8 character code that was generated in mygarmin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

eirman wrote: »
    I just purchased this product - It cost €120 including 21.5% VAT

A tip - if you go into mygarmin the product is not there. The link at the top of this thread will take your cc data and go nowhere. You have to go to garmin.com - clicks on maps at the top of the page, then update maps. You will be directed to mygarmin later. The 10/11 hour process involves ......

> updating the your pc-garmin software
    > updating the software on your device
    > Installing a multipart downloader which supports resuming
    > Downloading 3 Gigs of map data
    > Extraction of same
    > Uploading map data to your device

Strange thing - I did not have to enter the 8 character code that was generated in mygarmin
    how did ya get it for 120 euros i looked at buying it and it was €139

Top Tip: Enter your country as United Kingdom, and pay in Sterling instead. £99.99 which is about 104 euro. Downloading as we speak. And yes, your credit card will still work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Honda08

Top Tip: Enter your country as United Kingdom, and pay in Sterling instead. £99.99 which is about 104 euro. Downloading as we speak. And yes, your credit card will still work fine.

just realised that i was looking at usa and europe , for nuvi lifetime, as i got a nuvi that came with usa maps and europe maps..

its 149 usd for both, or 110 gpb on the uk site, or 139 euro when they realise that you are in ireland..

what a rip off.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Crikey !

I got the Navigon FreshMaps service for 19.99 (24 months) with my 2110 Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭grey squirrel

coylemj wrote: »
    I have a Nuvi 250 and that is a very expensive upgrade and potentially a complete waste of money because in October I attempted to upgrade a friend's 250 to the 2009 maps but it said it could only fit one region on the unit, this happened even when I inserted a blank 2GB SD card so my friend now has effectively a Nuvi 200 having purchased a 250 in July.

Last night I ordered nüMaps Lifetime™ Europe
    - nüMaps Lifetime Europe Download
    - Item #: 010-D0130-00
    I left it downloading all night. I've just discovered it wont fit on the nuvi 250 even with a 4GB SD card so I did a search on here.

Does this issue happen all the time with the nuvi 250?
    If I select one region will I lose the maps of the other regions forever?
    Any work around at all?

To make more space I removed the non english voice, help and text files (about 40 MB). This didn't help!

• Advertisement
Advertisement