Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot HDI diesel problem

Options
  • 08-01-2009 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

My 307 diesel calved yesterday on the road home. An antipollution warning came up and the engine shut down. I got it towed to a garage where tehy were able to start it ok this morning and the fault didn't show up. However, when the garage ran a diagnostic on it told me the car had registered a high fuel pressure warning at the rail and that most likely the pump is faulty. It seems to be running ok now though and a new pump is about €500 and the same to fit!! The fuel line was dirty a while ago with some crap in the lines and but that has all been cleaned out 6000 miles ago. Are they likely to be right with this? Can't understand why the problem only seems to be intermittent and I don't have €1000 to spare!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Drive on and see what happens. If the fault has cleared it may not come back. No point in spending money on it at this point. Wait and see if the fault manifests itself again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I'll put a pint on with you that either (1) or (2) below is the cause of the problem. I've only ever seen this as being the problem with this engine and I've seen it several times...

(1) If you take out the air filter housing, you'll see in below the housing, running along the top of the engine, black plastic fuel pipes. There are a few of these pipes, one from the fuel tank up to the fuel pump at the engine and another identical pipe called a flow-back, from the fuel pump back to the tank.

These plastic pipes have a well known habit of cracking as they are placed on top of the engine and crack from heat. When they crack, you'd usually expect to see fuel leaking out of them, but what happens is that air leaks into them and causes all the usual problems that air in diesel will cause.

(2) There is also another defect associated with the HDi engine, which is a fuel heater circuit that works on the bottom of the fuel filter I think and this can blow a fuse sometimes and cause a problem, but it's the cracked fuel pipe that I've seen more times being the cause of the problem...

To check this, you'll need some WD40 to clean the pipes so you can inspect them, some tools to take off the air filter housing and pipes, and a good torch to see down behind the engine...

Khan77 wrote: »
    My 307 diesel calved yesterday on the road home. An antipollution warning came up and the engine shut down. I got it towed to a garage where tehy were able to start it ok this morning and the fault didn't show up. However, when the garage ran a diagnostic on it told me the car had registered a high fuel pressure warning at the rail and that most likely the pump is faulty. It seems to be running ok now though and a new pump is about €500 and the same to fit!! The fuel line was dirty a while ago with some crap in the lines and but that has all been cleaned out 6000 miles ago. Are they likely to be right with this? Can't understand why the problem only seems to be intermittent and I don't have €1000 to spare!!

I wouldn't be horsing in a fuel pump on the basis of a single fault code stating high fuel pressure. Is this code reappearing after it is cleared???

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Khan77

The car shut down on the way home and when I started it again after about 30 secs the antipollution fault warning came on again. I drove the car to a layby and stopped it. When I tried to start it again after 2 minutes the antipollution fault was flagged again. The next day though the fault didn't come up after starting and when the garage took it out for a run it didn't reappear. There must be a log of faults though because it was abl to be diagnosed. Is there any way of resetting the fault codes without a dealer doing it?

Sorry OP, I thought it was a 206 HDi engine.

Check out the link below, it looks to me like this is your answer... Sounds like a simple fix...

http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2143

• Advertisement
Advertisement