Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drafts - where to start?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭

My house is just over 3 years old. I have noticed in the Winter (especially in recent weeks) that there are at least 2 sources of drafts in the house: (1) draft coming from beneath the kitchen/sink units and (2) draft coming from under the skirting boards in the living room under the bay windows (there's a gap of a few mm's between the skirting and the wooden floor). Both of these are on exterior walls.

I want to get these fixed, but am don't know how to go about it (can I do anything myself?) or else get someone in to look at them. The latter is probably the better idea, but I am afraid of the cost and getting ripped off as I know nothing about construction.

Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    My house is just over 3 years old. I have noticed in the Winter (especially in recent weeks) that there are at least 2 sources of drafts in the house: (1) draft coming from beneath the kitchen/sink units and (2) draft coming from under the skirting boards in the living room under the bay windows (there's a gap of a few mm's between the skirting and the wooden floor). Both of these are on exterior walls.

I want to get these fixed, but am don't know how to go about it (can I do anything myself?) or else get someone in to look at them. The latter is probably the better idea, but I am afraid of the cost and getting ripped off as I know nothing about construction.

Any advice? Thanks.

The first draught sounds like its from where the drain pipe exits the wall to an external drain ( does that sound right?). If it is and you can get access to the point where it does exit the wall just use some sealant around the pipe at that point.

You can use some decorators mastic between the skirting and the floor under the window. While this won't stop the ingress of air into the room you shouldn't feel the draught so much.
    It's certainly something you could do yourself.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Check your window seals as well - ours are not very well put together and there is a 6mm gap in some places. A few lengths of adhesive-backed foam sealing tape did the job though.

Advertisement