Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good bird id book with photographs

• 08-01-2009 9:16pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

I'm not very good at identifying different types of birds, I really only know a few of the common ones.
    SO......
    I've been looking for awhile now for a good book on identifing birds in Ireland and most I've seen contain drawings which I found not great. I was wondering if there is any book which uses photography to illustrate the different types of birds.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I mentioned in my "today I saw" thread "ireland's garden birds" by Oran O Sullivan and Jim Wilson, just published last year.
    part one is on gardening for birds and wildlife and part two is individual Bird id with each bird's ranking in the garden birds survey given.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I've been using this for the past few weeks.

Jonathan Ephick. Birds. A Guide Book To British Birds.

ISBN 0-563-36954-X

Listed below for sale at 1 US dollar by various sellers.

http://www.abebooks.com/products/isbn/9780563369547/Elphick,+Jonathan/Birds:+A+Guide+Book+to+British+Birds/

What I enjoy about it is the panels follow the birds along their growth path, showing plumage as juveniles and adults alongside each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

www.birdwatchireland.ie is an excellent site for the novice birdwatcher and has a shop with over 240 different books available -not all on birds. Possibly the best for the beginner would be The Pocket Guide to the Birds of Ireland €13.00 by Eric Dempsey - 250 pages and lots of pics. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

Personally I prefer drawings to photos as they can highlight things not visible in photos, and show you the differences between male/female/young/adult/winter/summer. Collins publish a fabulous field guide...one of the authors is Irish I understand...but note it includes all European birds. Have seen it in Eason's, Birdwatch and Amazon. It is available in hardback (not suitable for bringing into the field) or softback so doublecheck this if considering ordering online.

I think these links point to versions of the book...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Bird-Guide-Complete-Britain/dp/0007113323/ref=pd_sim_b_4

http://shop.birdwatchireland.ie/birdwatchireland/product_info.php?cPath=35_33&products_id=63

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Personally I prefer drawings to photos as they can highlight things not visible in photos, and show you the differences between male/female/young/adult/winter/summer. Collins publish a fabulous field guide...one of the authors is Irish I understand...but note it includes all European birds. Have seen it in Eason's, Birdwatch and Amazon. It is available in hardback (not suitable for bringing into the field) or softback so doublecheck this if considering ordering online.

I agree with you about the male, female, young, adult, winter and summer feather differences, this makes it so much more complicated...

Thanks for the help will have to look at each book and see if its what I'm looking for.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Complete Irish Wildlife, printed by Collins and written by paul sterry, with an introduction by Derek Mooney is a good guide to all Irish wildlife.;)

Advertisement