Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats going on with Meteor ?

• 08-01-2009 9:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

If been with them for years now with two bill phones on one account and a pre pay for work, the kids have meteor pre pay too..
    I went to upgrade a phone at christmas and was told I cant because Meteor changed their upgrade policy from 12 months to 16 months. After having issues with Meteor before when they refused to print off a bill in the Meteor store because I wanted to buy a phone in Carphone warehouse, I told them to cancel the phone if they wouldnt upgrade.
    Meteor wont release the newest phones to carphone warehouse because they want to sell them themselves.
    My son told me to use Opera Mini for cheap or free internet on my phone, I did and now I have a huge bill because it only applies to pre pay. I rang meteor today to ask why a child can get on the internet for 99c a day and an adult with a bill phone gets robbed for the same service, I was told that its diferent charges for different set ups, I complained that it was a complete rip off for the same service and was told "well, thats just the way it is" .
    Yesterday I brought back a meteor phone that was bought a couple of days before christmas because it was faulty, ended up with a credit note because the carphone warehouse had no stock because Meteor will not supply them with the right amount...
    My other bill phone is out of contract in February and the speaker is a bit faulty, cant hear properly.. I was going to upgrade in Feb but cant now because Meteor changed the upgrade policy. I told them I needed a phone and if they wont help me I will cancel all six Meteor phones in my house and go elsewhere..They said "OK thats fine, just give us 30 days notice". I was shocked, do they not want the business ?
    Meteor dont seem to very customer friendly any more.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

UPgrade policy - nearly all networks are tightening their belts.

Bill printout - seems petty, do Meteor usually provide a facility to print out bills though? I know some networks have a blanket "no" on it

Phones in CPW - and CPW won't release some phones to network stores because they want to sell them themself. It's business after all.

Data pricing prepay/billpay - that's the way it is. Research the price before you use it. Meteor do have a range of billpay data addons you can look into.

CPW credit note - you should probably have got a refund here, but you opted for the credit note (or some sales assistant convinced you in CPW). Hardly Meteors fault. It's just after Xmas, stock of popular handsets is low. This is across the board generally.

Meteor not want your business - it's cheaper to get new customers than keep old ones happy it would seem. It seems ot be a general trend throughout .. but it's in every area.. look at Sky, Eircom, etc .. better deals to new customers.

Customer friendly - based on the above? OR do you mean the agents on the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Random wrote: »
    Bill printout - seems petty, do Meteor usually provide a facility to print out bills though? I know some networks have a blanket "no" on it
    when i worked in cpw we used to tell people to go to the meteor store and get bills printed off every day
    Phones in CPW - and CPW won't release some phones to network stores because they want to sell them themself. It's business after all.
    why would cpw be selling phones to network stores :confused:
    Data pricing prepay/billpay - that's the way it is. Research the price before you use it. Meteor do have a range of billpay data addons you can look into.
    this is true. and you can't get the add on on pre pay. the add on is better than their pre pay pricing
    CPW credit note - you should probably have got a refund here, but you opted for the credit note (or some sales assistant convinced you in CPW). Hardly Meteors fault. It's just after Xmas, stock of popular handsets is low. This is across the board generally.
    true, not really meteor's fault since it was bought in cpw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭2qk4u

I know the issue with the data pricing is my own fault, my problem is why it 99c a day for a child on pre pay and a rip off for bill pay ?
    The whole credit note issue is Meteors fault because I only bought the phone because the would not upgrade the bill phone..
    I know its across the board, just feel like they realy dont want to help you once you are a customer...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

2qk4u wrote: »
    I know the issue with the data pricing is my own fault, my problem is why it 99c a day for a child on pre pay and a rip off for bill pay ?
    The whole credit note issue is Meteors fault because I only bought the phone because the would not upgrade the bill phone..
    I know its across the board, just feel like they realy dont want to help you once you are a customer...

It's a rip off if you don't avail of an add on. I pay €10 month for the 250MB add on and find it great (use it everyday and never even come near the allowance...).

to be fair the 99 thing was only brought in a few months ago to compete with vodafone. if you want to use the internet on bill pay you just have to get the €10 add on

• Advertisement

when i worked in cpw we used to tell people to go to the meteor store and get bills printed off every day

This doesn't mean that they provide it as a facility. It was a question I was asking more than anything else. I don't think O2 or Vodafone give you bill printouts in store.

As I said though, it does seem a little petty of them not to print a bill if their only reason was that you were getting an upgrade elsewhere and ordinarily they would give them out.
    why would cpw be selling phones to network stores
    Sometimes CPW have exclusive deals on phones etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Oh dont get me started on Meteor!! My phone bill seems to be rising with each month and I dont make extra calls or send more txts. Im out of contract since Nov but not due an upgrade until end of this Month. Being with them since 2004. Im thinking of moving to 3 but too much hassle with contract to sign and such. Im lazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

3 will give you an upgrade after 10 months. You can also get a 1 gig data add on for €10 per month. Also if you sign up to relax 350 (and port from another network) or higher before end of jan you get €50 credited to your second bill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Walkman wrote: »
    3 will give you an upgrade after 10 months. You can also get a 1 gig data add on for €10 per month. Also if you sign up to relax 350 (and port from another network) or higher before end of jan you get €50 credited to your second bill

Jeez, that sounds very temptingi indeed!!! Like the fact you can view the premiership goals on phone with 3 and 1gb for 10e sounds great value. Wonder if they stock the Nokia N95??

DonFred wrote: »
    Jeez, that sounds very temptingi indeed!!! Like the fact you can view the premiership goals on phone with 3 and 1gb for 10e sounds great value. Wonder if they stock the Nokia N95??

here comes the obligatory mention of the main drawback of 3: their customer care has a script of some very basic and mostly wrong information in front of them and they are completely incapable of doing anything that is not on their script. they're like robots if robots were filled with wrong information.

edit:also if it's physically possible to blame someone else (your handset, your location or another network for example) for a problem, they will wash their hands of the situation and not help. sometimes they do it even when it's not physically possible......

• Advertisement

DonFred wrote: »

Yes they stock the n95 but not the 8gig version as they have the n96.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Meteor dont seem to very customer friendly any more.

Meteor have been fully assimiliated by the Borg Eircom. Final Eircomisation occured in and around sept. 2008.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,533 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

why it 99c a day for a child on pre pay and a rip off for bill pay ?

Whats with the "child on prepay" comments?? There are more adults on prepay than bill!!

AFAIK best of both is to be relaunched in a couple of weeks so im not to sure if it will change. The T and C are here: http://www.three.ie/company/best-of-both-terms.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

As I said it will be relaunched in a couple of weeks so dont be surprised if the plan gets tweaked a bit to make it more attractive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

CPW is completely seperate from Meteor. Meteor do not supply CPW with phones atall. they only provide them with sim cards with their numbers.
    If you bought a phone from a CPW shop, its nots Meteors.

I looked into the data packages alright, when i was considering between prepay and postpay.
    on postpay its like (99c/day) 30 euro/month for 50mb/day or 1.5gb/month or the 30 euro/unlimited or 10/what ever it was

samhail wrote: »
    CPW is completely seperate from Meteor. Meteor do not supply CPW with phones atall. they only provide them with sim cards with their numbers.
    If you bought a phone from a CPW shop, its nots Meteors.

I looked into the data packages alright, when i was considering between prepay and postpay.
    on postpay its like (99c/day) 30 euro/month for 50mb/day or 1.5gb/month or the 30 euro/unlimited or 10/what ever it was

Not true. CPW do sell sim free phones which do not belong to the networks but the also sell network phones which are subsidised by the network.

hmmmm. thats a good point.
    i can assure you though that meteor does not give CPW handsets. ill find out how that works. i expect CPW s the subsidised money from meteor

• Advertisement

Meteor don't make the phones. Meteor don't distribute them. They get them from someone else. Both Meteor and CPW share this source. No ?

Meteor don't make the phones. Meteor don't distribute them. They get them from someone else. Both Meteor and CPW share this source. No ?

meteor get their phones from sigma i believe and some if not all of cpw's phones come from the uk.

edit:that could be completely wrong but i know at least some of cpw's phones come from the uk

hmm yeah, but compared with Meteor stores where Meteor would order phones and sim cards for the stores, perhaps CPW orders the Meteor SIMs and the handsets from the same place.
    but like if you buy a phone outside of meteor they need to register your handset on your meteor account.

Sigma is the distributor but the handsets still come from meteor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Walkman wrote: »
    Sigma is the distributor but the handsets still come from meteor

No, they don't. All the handsets come from Sigma, as well as the sim cards. As far as I know, CPW is a bit of both. They get their exclusives from a UK supplier (which is why they are normally unlocked) but the common phones all come from Sigma.

Meteor have nothing to do with the handsets, as such. They get them all from Sigma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Wait a minute! Do you mean to tell me the Raindeers don't distribute the meteor phones:(

So if the Raindeers aren't real does that mean Santa isn't either?:(

please say it ain't so:(

Anyone notice they upped the price of their texts in the last while?!..... had 11c credit left the last day and it wouldn't let me send a message with it, so i bought more credit yesterday and noted around 14c was taken for one, taught my call plan might have been changed, but it hasn't, site sayd ''Any Network texts 12c'' i was charged more then that!!

When did they up it from 9c?, must have been fairly recent, was quietly done too :mad:

Wait a minute! Do you mean to tell me the Raindeers don't distribute the meteor phones:(

So if the Raindeers aren't real does that mean Santa isn't either?:(

please say it ain't so:(

dm, pull up a chair. i've got some bad news....
    Anyone notice they upped the price of their texts in the last while?!..... had 11c credit left the last day and it wouldn't let me send a message with it, so i bought more credit yesterday and noted around 14c was taken for one, taught my call plan might have been changed, but it hasn't, site sayd ''Any Network texts 12c'' i was charged more then that!!

When did they up it from 9c?, must have been fairly recent, was quietly done too :mad:

if you're being charged 14c for texts something's gone wrong. log into the site and check that you are actually being charged 14c and if you are, call them and tell them you're being charged wrongly

Advertisement