Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom: Old Router Broke, Got New One, Speed Has DROPPED! Help?

Options
  • 08-01-2009 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hey, I had some problems the last 3 weeks connecting to the exchange, DNS was the problem , but anyway I got a new router, works fine now, but my speed that was about 3105 kbps, and upload 326 kbps, today on the new router, download is 1747kbps and 209 upload, ( see pic )

f_Untitledm_cfc48de.jpg

Is there anyway to fix this, I am paying for 3mb :S , I had 3 mb for a good while until my router broke,
    Have eircom since december 05

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Did you try the speed test a few times at different times? Consider trying another speed test site to get a better idea as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭akenny01

Hi mate, yup I get the same speed on all sites, maybe some a little kbps higher, some lower, but both no where near what it should :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ok well the first thing to clarify is that with all isps you are paying for speed UP TO xxxxxx.

The second thing is that some routers are better than others at dealing with iffy lines and that maybe what has happened here - what are your line stats and are you connecting by wireless or by ethernet - if by wireless what is your speed when connecting by ethernet?

dub45 wrote: »
    Ok well the first thing to clarify is that with all isps you are paying for speed UP TO xxxxxx.

The second thing is that some routers are better than others at dealing with iffy lines and that maybe what has happened here - what are your line stats and are you connecting by wireless or by ethernet - if by wireless what is your speed when connecting by ethernet?

im connecting with ethernet,

Line State Up
    Modulation DMT
    Data Path Interleave

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 2048 256
    SN Margin (dB) 28.90 26.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 15.50 10.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

I pay for 3mb

No you pay for 'up to' 3Mb:)

Your line stats are excellent. Have you checked with Eircom to see what product they have you on?

• Advertisement

yeah, 3mb, last week I have 320 kbp's then new router comes and I get one and a half mb, bit strange no?

akenny01 wrote: »
    yeah, 3mb, last week I have 320 kbp's then new router comes and I get one and a half mb, bit strange no?

Yes and thats why I suggested that you ask Eircom what product they now have you on - is there any possiblity that you were on to them with the problems that you said you were having earlier and that someone changed youru connection speed? With your line stats there is no reason why you should be having problems as is shown by the speeds that you were getting before your dns problems. So before you go any further in trying to diagnose the problem I strongly suggest that you contact Eircom and ask if what speed you are now being connected on at the exchange.

In one of your other posts in another thread you say that you had a loan of a router for a while - any chance of trying that again as it seemed to give you a better sync rate?

By the way the quote below is from the Eircom website:
    The download speed is up to 3Mb. The upload speed is up to 384Kbps
    Why up to? Because you share the eircom network with other customers in your area. At certain times of the day there may be more people connected to the Internet (e.g. in the evenings) and this can slow down your broadband speed. We call this 'contention rate'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

Log into your new router and make sure there's no Traffic Shaping enabled (if it supports it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

I'm on 3mb with eircom and my speed test comes in at almost the exact same as yours is now. (around 1700kpbs)

How do I check my line stats by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Sneakee

Just wondering I made a silly mistake before when installing the kit, was wondering why my connection was so bad, it turned out the line splitter supplied with the kit, I put the phone cable in the modem part and the modem cable in the phone part.
    Check your wires,it still worked but the connection was half what it should have been....Even the best have a bad day, just make sure you check and then rule that problem out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement