Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

norwegian elkhounds

Options
  • 08-01-2009 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

Just wondering how owners of this breed find them as pets? Think they're a beautiful breed and am thinking of getting one. I know they need a lot of exercise, which isn't a problem, but I've heard that they are very independent and can't ever be left off-lead. Also heard they bark a lot. Is this the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

I had one growing up and I have to say they are one of my favorite breeds. They are great with kids and don't wander too much. I don't remember barking being a big problem and my dog never had any health issues.
    The exercise issue has to be emphasised though. I've lost count of how many overweight elkhounds I have seen over the years, in fact I've rarely seen one that wasn't.
    If you have some space to let it run about or can commit to giving one a lot of walks and runs then go for it, they are very rewarding pets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I had two. Beautiful animal. Best dogs i've ever had.

The two we had didn't bark anymore than anyother dog we've had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

A friend of mine has a whole pack of them, she doesn't breed but she knows all there is to know about the breed. I strongly suggest you get in touch with her for a chat and maybe a visit to meet them up close. PM me if you want her contact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

Brilliant info, thanks mil! Yeah I understand they need heaps of exercise, I used to bike with my last dog, about 30 miles a week, as well as a daily walk. It'd be great to have a breed with plenty of stamina to do all that again.

Thanks for replies. Any more info / advice appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Lovely Dogs. My sister used to have one.

A couple of thing to be aware of. On the health side Epilipsy is very common, & its pretty distressing when a dog has a fit. But that said I don't think it shortened the dogs life. They also tend to get cysts(sp) but they're not a serious issue, but you'll notice the lumps & its wise to learn to deal with them.

Oh yeah, they're diggers :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement