Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Bridge or Flyover M50/M1/N32 Whats This?

• 08-01-2009 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

They seem to be building some kind of bridge or possibly flyover at the roundabout where the M50 meets the M1 at the end of the N32 near the Bewleys "airport" hotel. In any event vertical pillars have appeared in recent times as if some kind of bridge of flyover is being constructed. There does not seem to be anything about this on the NRA website. Does anyone know what's going on???
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Ernest wrote: »
    They seem to be building some kind of bridge or possibly flyover at the roundabout where the M50 meets the M1 at the end of the N32 near the Bewleys "airport" hotel. In any event vertical pillars have appeared in recent times as if some kind of bridge of flyover is being constructed. There does not seem to be anything about this on the NRA website. Does anyone know what's going on???

Well, they are making the M1/M50/N32 junction freeflow, so maybe part of this ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭Joey Joe-Joe Jr

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Wow, junction 6 looks complicated.

There is going to be qite a few complicated junction on M50 in 2010. New "red cow" for example ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

As well as those links there are threads on 'Commuting and Transport' board and also sabre.co.uk (e.g. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14548&start=840&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ) to keep up to date with the M50 upgrade. Phase 1 is almost complete including N4 and Red Cow junctions. Phase 3 is complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

As we as those links there are threads on 'Commuting and Transport' board and also sabre.co.uk (e.g. http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=14548&start=840&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ) to keep up to date with the M50 upgrade. Phase 1 is almost complete including N4 and Red Cow junctions. Phase 3 is complete.

There is so many threads about the same things everywhere. There is also Irish Roads thread on SkyscraperCity forum as well.
    But I couldn't find many current pictures of progress on M50 projects.
    Red Cow anyone? M50/N3? M50/N4? M50/M1?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

N4/M50:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055087843
    Includes plenty of construction pics. Some photos of finished jn (there are others out there somewhere on the net): http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55716335&postcount=426

Red Cow:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055379698
    A couple of pics from months ago:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57692378&postcount=73

Haven't seen pics posted for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Thanks for this information, everyone!
    (One would have imagined that this information might have been included in the original source I consulted - the NRA Website but then these are the people who built motorways without proper crash barriers and who thought that motorway service stations wouldn't be needed!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Ernest wrote: »

For your information.
    They are building a new flyover and up-grading the entire interchange.
    See www.m50.ie website.
    It outlines the up-grade and it is mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Hey folks,

any updates on the daily schedule for this job? coming through late last night (M50N--M1N) there was a lot of final surfacing underway straight on towards the roundabout when i slipped off onto the freeflow for the airport. Lane restrictions etc so looked as if there was going to be a major rejig of the traffic layout / lanes here shortly.

it can be a nightmare coming North along the M50 towards this junction when busy with all the lane changes / closures causing snarl-ups.

anyone know what the plan for switchovers etc is here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Anyone any updates on this at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The slip from M50Eastbound to M1 Northbound has been reduced to 1 lane, and most of the columns for the overbridges have been built, I dunno how long the concrete takes to cure before the overbridge beams get laid on top.

They have been installing the beams on the bridge that crosses the N32 over the past few nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

They have been installing the beams on the bridge that crosses the N32 over the past few nights.

Yup, was closed 16th till tonight every day from 10pm to 6am. Caught me out on Paddy's night, came up the slip at 10.05pm and had to take a massive diversion through Coolock. Pain it the arse!

Any estimated completion date for this, anyone? Looks to me like very slow progress, are the builders scratching their arses to get a few more weeks work before the contracts dry up altogether? :P

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Any estimated completion date for this, anyone?

Late 2010 for the entire project, M50 mainline should be done late this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The slip from M50Eastbound to M1 Northbound has been reduced to 1 lane, and most of the columns for the overbridges have been built, I dunno how long the concrete takes to cure before the overbridge beams get laid on top.

When the M50 was built to join the M1 they cast the flyover in situ, with lane restrictions for months. The beam approach is much less disruptive.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Yup, was closed 16th till tonight every day from 10pm to 6am. Caught me out on Paddy's night, came up the slip at 10.05pm and had to take a massive diversion through Coolock. Pain it the arse!

Any estimated completion date for this, anyone? Looks to me like very slow progress, are the builders scratching their arses to get a few more weeks work before the contracts dry up altogether? :P
    You could have something there; I've noticed very slow progress on the interchanges for several months now. However, they might be concentrating on the mainline.

spacetweek wrote: »
    You could have something there; I've noticed very slow progress on the interchanges for several months now. However, they might be concentrating on the mainline.

I believe that's the case, the mainline will be finished long before any of the junctions, but also consider the fact that the junctions require major structural works to be carried out.
    These can at times appear to be standing still while considerable unseen works are being done, as well as waiting for concrete to cure at certain stages.

Just think Red cow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

New Bridge Beams across the M1 for the M1 / M50 / N32 looking North.

3499947073_f9d7042851.jpg

3499949049_1fdc9eb28d.jpg

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement