Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more!

Options
  • 08-01-2009 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

I'd like to ask a question or three. When is it that we, the Irish people say enough is enough with this government? At what point do we turf this shambolic government out of power? Are we forever destined to collectively bend over and take it from a group of people who are either absolutely oblivious to the plight of the people or are so inherently feckless and corrupt that they hide their heads in the sand while the country they claim to represents crumbles around them?

A bank system that is run by a bunch of white-collar criminals; a health system that makes catching an illness a death sentence; criminals who murder innocent civilians with little in the way of justice; a complete ignorance of the democratic process and subsequent unwillingness to represent us in Europe; a budget that, if written in fiction would be laughed at; corruption; incompetence; and allowing companies to jump the ship of Ireland like rats abandoning the Titanic.

I know the alternative to the government is in no way attractive, but this attitude of 'better the devil you know' is killing us. Cowen and his cadre of mutant-looking fools are quite obviously inept. But still, we just sit and grumble. Is there a point where we say 'no more' and take to the streets? When is this? What alternative is there to the government we have? Surely there is some way out of the horrible quagmire this country seems to be stuck in. Is this the best it is, and it's all down hill from here?!

[/rant]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Start the revolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Yup, we're boned.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Why? You let them take the piss when everybody had money and everybody was riding the crest of the wave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I'd sooner see Richard Bruton incharge of the finances now than Lenihan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭pepsicokeacola

Sanjuro wrote: »
    criminals who murder innocent civilians with little in the way of justice;
    [/rant]

doesnt happen that much in ireland compared to other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Surely there is some way out of the horrible quagmire
    Giggity, giggity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Hey, I'm only now getting to the age where I give a crap about this kind of thing. School, college and the usual travelling malarkay all happened while this celtic tiger thing was going on. But I did sit and watch my father slowly kill himself trying to keep his business afloat when Haughey was telling the country to tighten their belts while receiving brown envelopes under the table. He did manage to hang on, but it cost him. And my family. I didn't really understand back then, but I'm showing an interest now. So while I might not be up to speed, and I am definately a product of that era, at least I am actually now trying to educate myself. I work hard, I pay my taxes. I exercise my democratic privilage when the oppertunity arises. So I don't expect anything handed to me on a plate. Anything I get, I've earned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

im also as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭stoneroses

Hmm....

We had our chance last year and the people voted them back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Is that you RUn_to_da_hills?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Huggles wrote: »
    I'd sooner see Richard Bruton incharge of the finances now than Lenihan.

+1

I'd rather see Richard Bruton in charge, full stop.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

http://todaysseniorsnetwork.com/popeye.jpg

That's all I can stands, and I can't stands no more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

I'd like to ask a question or three. When is it that we, the Irish people say enough is enough with this government? At what point do we turf this shambolic government out of power? Are we forever destined to collectively bend over and take it from a group of people who are either absolutely oblivious to the plight of the people or are so inherently feckless and corrupt that they hide their heads in the sand while the country they claim to represents crumbles around them?

A bank system that is run by a bunch of white-collar criminals; a health system that makes catching an illness a death sentence; criminals who murder innocent civilians with little in the way of justice; a complete ignorance of the democratic process and subsequent unwillingness to represent us in Europe; a budget that, if written in fiction would be laughed at; corruption; incompetence; and allowing companies to jump the ship of Ireland like rats abandoning the Titanic.

I know the alternative to the government is in no way attractive, but this attitude of 'better the devil you know' is killing us. Cowen and his cadre of mutant-looking fools are quite obviously inept. But still, we just sit and grumble. Is there a point where we say 'no more' and take to the streets? When is this? What alternative is there to the government we have? Surely there is some way out of the horrible quagmire this country seems to be stuck in. Is this the best it is, and it's all down hill from here?!

[/rant]

And if that aint bad enough there are people out there who piss in the sink........piss in the sink. Country is going to hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

To OP,
    You would be amazed at how insensed I've become talking to friends along the lines of what you just wrote! In fact, they have this rediculous attitude of 'what can you do?'.

Quite frankly, while I agree with you 199% and am SO annoyed, what indeed can we do? The Irish people voted this gang of utter incompetants into power a THIRD time, they (and unfortunately we) deserve the idiocy. While 60% of the voting population didn't infact vote the a return for Fianna Fail, we didn't sadly choose a viable alternative.

Again, I agree, what alternative. But ANY alternative at this point. They are tired, don't care, and certainly do NOT represent the people. Any walk down the corridors in Brussels would inform you that. Why aren't we up in arms over 1 woman who died, told her story on radio while she was still alive, yet one minister with power, supposed authority and control quite frankly fiddled while rome burned??????? Thats just Health, how many stories do we all have for the other departments.

I'm sorry to say it but we deserve them. The people don't care, why should those elected by them care either? I was told by a friend before voting, that any other government would be raising taxes and would take us down the swanny within weeks. Imagine!!!

- an irate reader in agreement with OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Michael O'Leary for El Presidente, and im not joking either, the present Government is a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Agreed, but what can we do??? I've asked that on several threads on here and there is a genuine difficulty in seeing what can be done. What is the answer, what is the appropriate form of protest??

At this stage, the problems are well known, but what is unknown is how to get rid of this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭shenanigans1982

Steyr wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary for El Presidente, and im not joking either, the present Government is a joke.

So is Ryanair.

Although they do have good ads so he may put together some good Government propaganda.

What I would like to do:

Pull Cowen and his gang out by the ears and get Richard Bruton in charge. At least on the finance side he has the necessary skills to best decide what we should do next.
    Darragh29 wrote: »
    Agreed, but what can we do??? I've asked that on several threads on here and there is a genuine difficulty in seeing what can be done. What is the answer, what is the appropriate form of protest??

At this stage, the problems are well known, but what is unknown is how to get rid of this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

And if that aint bad enough there are people out there who piss in the sink........piss in the sink. Country is going to hell.

Yep, it's going down the toilet alright. Or not in this case, maybe :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Surion wrote: »
    To OP,
    You would be amazed at how insensed I've become talking to friends along the lines of what you just wrote! In fact, they have this rediculous attitude of 'what can you do?'.

Quite frankly, while I agree with you 199% and am SO annoyed, what indeed can we do? The Irish people voted this gang of utter incompetants into power a THIRD time, they (and unfortunately we) deserve the idiocy. While 60% of the voting population didn't infact vote the a return for Fianna Fail, we didn't sadly choose a viable alternative.

Again, I agree, what alternative. But ANY alternative at this point. They are tired, don't care, and certainly do NOT represent the people. Any walk down the corridors in Brussels would inform you that. Why aren't we up in arms over 1 woman who died, told her story on radio while she was still alive, yet one minister with power, supposed authority and control quite frankly fiddled while rome burned??????? Thats just Health, how many stories do we all have for the other departments.

I'm sorry to say it but we deserve them. The people don't care, why should those elected by them care either? I was told by a friend before voting, that any other government would be raising taxes and would take us down the swanny within weeks. Imagine!!!

- an irate reader in agreement with OP!

People can't be so inherently stupid and self-destructive that they're just willing to allow the country to self-destruct though, are they? Good will and loyalty are all fine and good, but there comes a point where the good will is used up and the alternative must be given a chance. Things are already a disaster, so a change in power certainly is better than driving down the same doomed road.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

It doesnt matter who we elect. There is no government in the world that you could assemble that could make a global recession just disappear.
    The trick is to try and work at keeping hold of jobs and finding ways to spend on improvements to roads, hospitals, schools etc. That's a toughie though. I am not defending the current government at all. I think that they are an absolute ****ing disgrace. But I am just saying that even if the alternative to the current government were some sort of political dream team they would still find it tough to guide us through the times ahead and provide the security that people need right now.
    I mean I could do it. But nobody has asked me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Myxomatosis

Democracy is an illusion. You cannot do anything about it. They are there and there to stay until the next scheduled election.

What difference would it make putting another bunch of morons in their place anyway. All the alternatives are politicians. The kind of people who want to become, and become politicians are not the type of people who are fit to run a country. Politics is about kissing arse and winning votes. Nobody in politics has any real qualification to be there other than being a smarmy slimy bastard who won votes from a majority of idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Huggles wrote: »
    What I would like to do:

Pull Cowen and his gang out by the ears and get Richard Bruton in charge. At least on the finance side he has the necessary skills to best decide what we should do next.

That's grand, but how do we get a general election??? Personally I'd like to try the option they took in Thailand recently to get their house in order but the rest of the country probably won't be up for it!

So how do we get a general election???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Kersh

In fairness, with regard to the rats abandoning the sinking ship, so long as the average industrial wage remains so high, we will never attract big investing companies to our shores... and that has F all to do with the Government. Thats the people.

We should be attracting these big companies due to our very low corporation tax... but the monthly costs of running a business here is appalling.

The company I run/manage was put here by a UK HQ, and they were appalled at the cost of things.. I had to explain it all.. Cost of fleet insurance, building insurance compared to Uk,... about the only thing the government was responsible for was the VRT, which horrified them. Our 4 vehicle fleet cost as much as they got 9 cars for in the UK! And our insurance is the same as their 22 car fleet over there!
    Ridiculous.

Ireland is horrifically expensive to run a company in. And wages is at the core of it. And be they public or private, I cant see the whole country taking a 20% cut to get it started again, can you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭badabinbadaboom

I know, what can we do?!? Tbh Im starting to thing the last general election was rigged, surely were not stupid enough to have voted these useless blood suckers in again and again? Its time this whole country pulled its head out of its ass and voted for people who are competent and who actuall want to be politicians for the Job and not the big paycheck!!
    Hold on I know!! Lets make all political positions non paying! then the only people who would want to do the job would be people who actually give a ****!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Lookit, it doesnt matter who is in the driving seat... the plane is crashing folks.
    No one can magically fix the balls that has been made over the last decade. It's going to take a hero, a cowboy, someone well educated, well connected and well hung fit to run the country

This time next year we will be laughing at how good we have it now!

Darragh29 wrote: »

So how do we get a general election???

Assassination?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

After hearing people in Mayo backing brass neck Cooper Flynn all the way after what was exposed this week, i'm just going to give up.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

But is the alternate any better?

Advertisement