Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more!

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

javaboy wrote: »
    I think he was joking about not regretting the eating his own knob bit.

Had I known flexibility had such uses, would I have scoffed at gymnastic classes all those years ago? :(
    Yes cause youd be afraid of being ghey:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I'd like to ask a question or three. When is it that we, the Irish people say enough is enough with this government? At what point do we turf this shambolic government out of power? Are we forever destined to collectively bend over and take it from a group of people who are either absolutely oblivious to the plight of the people or are so inherently feckless and corrupt that they hide their heads in the sand while the country they claim to represents crumbles around them?

A bank system that is run by a bunch of white-collar criminals; a health system that makes catching an illness a death sentence; criminals who murder innocent civilians with little in the way of justice; a complete ignorance of the democratic process and subsequent unwillingness to represent us in Europe; a budget that, if written in fiction would be laughed at; corruption; incompetence; and allowing companies to jump the ship of Ireland like rats abandoning the Titanic.

I know the alternative to the government is in no way attractive, but this attitude of 'better the devil you know' is killing us. Cowen and his cadre of mutant-looking fools are quite obviously inept. But still, we just sit and grumble. Is there a point where we say 'no more' and take to the streets? When is this? What alternative is there to the government we have? Surely there is some way out of the horrible quagmire this country seems to be stuck in. Is this the best it is, and it's all down hill from here?!

[/rant]

Who did you vote for in the last General Election?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Sanjuro wrote: »
    I'd like to ask a question or three. When is it that we, the Irish people say enough is enough with this government? At what point do we turf this shambolic government out of power? Are we forever destined to collectively bend over and take it from a group of people who are either absolutely oblivious to the plight of the people or are so inherently feckless and corrupt that they hide their heads in the sand while the country they claim to represents crumbles around them?

A bank system that is run by a bunch of white-collar criminals; a health system that makes catching an illness a death sentence; criminals who murder innocent civilians with little in the way of justice; a complete ignorance of the democratic process and subsequent unwillingness to represent us in Europe; a budget that, if written in fiction would be laughed at; corruption; incompetence; and allowing companies to jump the ship of Ireland like rats abandoning the Titanic.

I know the alternative to the government is in no way attractive, but this attitude of 'better the devil you know' is killing us. Cowen and his cadre of mutant-looking fools are quite obviously inept. But still, we just sit and grumble. Is there a point where we say 'no more' and take to the streets? When is this? What alternative is there to the government we have? Surely there is some way out of the horrible quagmire this country seems to be stuck in. Is this the best it is, and it's all down hill from here?!

[/rant]

If we convince the government to attack Gaza, maybe then some of the population will get up off thier arses and do something. People seem more than happy to protest Bush, Israel, anything but our own government really. Actually in 11 days bush is looking for a new job, maybe we draft him into Fianna Failure and that might upset the country enough to distract them from their pub talk to actually put down the pint for a few minutes and do something about them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

0ubliette wrote: »
    Actually in 11 days bush is looking for a new job, maybe we draft him into Fianna Failure
    You've missed a lucrative opportunity there. We vote him in as an Independent, he pockets the €41k allowance then he joins FF. It's such a simple stroke I'm surprised some other cute hoor hasn't done it yet. Oh wait...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Hagar wrote: »
    You've missed a lucrative opportunity there. We vote him in as an Independent, he pockets the €41k allowance then he joins FF. It's such a simple stroke I'm surprised some other cute hoor hasn't done it yet. Oh wait...

Yep. Frank Godfrey of Louth has been there already. He's swapped more parties and back again than a prossie' attending college frat raves!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Toiletroll

I'm begining to think we're going to need a forum for these kind of threads.

Something like "the impotent rage" forum (dibs on being the mod).

Or the OP and everyone who agrees with him could stop crying and get involved in politics. If all options are so horribly awful then you're going to have to do it yourselves. Change isn't going to happen just because you get really mad and type angry posts on the internets, or wish really hard for a miracle.

Oh no you have come into another thread! Mercy!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Steyr wrote: »
    Michael O'Leary for El Presidente, and im not joking either, the present Government is a joke.
    Did they revoke his taxi plates yet? The ones he used to skip queues in the bus lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

I'm begining to think we're going to need a forum for these kind of threads.

Something like "the impotent rage" forum (dibs on being the mod).

Or the OP and everyone who agrees with him could stop crying and get involved in politics. If all options are so horribly awful then you're going to have to do it yourselves. Change isn't going to happen just because you get really mad and type angry posts on the internets, or wish really hard for a miracle.

Have to admit...I agree with you...that is afterall the very definition of Democracy. And you know what? Rather than be one of the 'moaners' agreeing with OP, I am actually going to start contacting some politicians. god knows they write (unrequested) enough to me!!

I'm thinking, even as a first step, a letter of encouragement to 'all the others' would at least let them know what the temperature out there is! So Email, here I come!!!

Thanks for the push of encouragement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

I think there is a silent (and not so silent) majority that is sick to death of the way this country is run.

I would love to see a general day of protest at the performance of our government. Something that all citizens can get behind and voice their anger.
    Such general demonstrations in Dublin coincided with similar demo's in provincial towns and cities would bring thousands if not hundreds of thousands out on to the streets.

The problem is demonstrations need an organiser.
    Normally we would look to the opposition to do this but they are part of the same political malaise and hardly look better than the government.

Where are the trade unions? Where is IBEC, Where is the churches? Where are the pilliars of our society when we need them, who will rally the people to voice their anger and get Cowen & co out of power??

Answer unfortunately is nowhere, We have allowed all these elites to rule us and they are all to a man part of the same machine.

woe is me

I'm starting to believe that for every one rational person, there'll be two cvnts that'll vote people like Bev back in for no reason other than they have an IQ of around 70-80(I'm being deadly serious here) and FF know this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

By the looks of our government they cant run at all :D

that's cos its a clusterfook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Gordon wrote: »
    Start the revolution.

testify brother,let the revolt begin

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Who did you vote for in the last General Election?

More like we put our trust in them and they've fúcked us in the ass. Just because people thought they were right for the job two years ago does not excuse the damage they've done to date under Brian Cowen's ludicrous grasp on power.

Not everyone could have predicted Bertie was going to leg it. Including me. I'll admit I harboued the false assumption that we'd be grand if he stayed, moreso than if we let Enda run the country. Bertie had something Kenny didn't. Unfortunately he himself didn't agree. Prick.

This government's job is to run the country in a way that maintains the wellbeing of all its citizens - something they are fundamentally failing to do each and every day. A plan similar to Terry's, or indeed a reformed version of his idea, needs to be put into action to march on the Dáíl. I may even start a new thread.

Revolution? Good fúcking idea.

Flaming torches and pitchforks are optional.

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Not everyone could have predicted Bertie was going to leg it. Including me. I'll admit I harboued the false assumption that we'd be grand if he stayed, moreso than if we let Enda run the country. Bertie had something Kenny didn't. Unfortunately he himself didn't agree. Prick.

No, but most people with a clue knew he was *at the very least* really dodgy, and most probably was as corrupt as the rest of them. "He himself didn't agree?" My arse. He left because he was in deep **** and he knew the country was going down the toilet and didn't want to be blamed. How people can still suck berties cock amazes me.........

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    "He himself didn't agree?" My arse. He left because he was in deep **** and he knew the country was going down the toilet and didn't want to be blamed.

That's exactly what I was getting at...badly maybe.

I maintain though that at the time, under the impression he'd be around for the duration of five years, he was the best choice for leader. Clearly that would not be the case if we knew now what we didn't then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭book smarts

Who the fucck would want to run this country anyway? All you'd get is abuse. Nothings going to happen and everyone knows it. Just leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

That's exactly what I was getting at...badly maybe.

I maintain though that at the time, under the impression he'd be around for the duration of five years, he was the best choice for leader. Clearly that would not be the case if we knew now what we didn't then.

Best choice for leader? You thought the property speculation party could just keep going did you? You respected and admired Berties well-thought-out economic plan that made Ireland the "2nd wealthiest country in the world" in 2007?

People voted for Bertie because they were being told they were gettin rich when in fact all they were doing was getting indebted. Greed and a naive hope that the good times could keep going forever is the reason they were voted back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

This government's job is to run the country in a way that maintains the wellbeing of all its citizens - something they are fundamentally failing to do each and every day.

Why are they failing do you think? Besides their personality traits, why have we gone from a booming country to a pennyless one? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

trentf wrote: »
    Inaction this time is not an option. Yes we should physically march on the dail and kick this shower out. The df and gardai won't stand against 20,000 - 30,000 people. This crowd only numbers about 60 at most.

When any government becomes as incompentent and corrupt as this lot then its up to the people to excercise their right to expel them, forcibly, if needs be.

You try to forcibly remove the Government all you're going to get is a hiding from a few Public Order Platoons.

• Advertisement

Ticktactoe wrote: »
    Why are they failing do you think? Besides their personality traits, why have we gone from a booming country to a pennyless one? :confused:

The budget for start had more holes in it than swiss cheese. They put up tax in the most roundabout way, adding income levies and reducing wages (or planning to) instead of just raising income tax like normal people.

They put up VAT in a time when the economy needs stimulus instead of giving people reasons NOT to speand money. If more people had bought Dell computers 1,900 people would still have jobs.

They send the Tániste and Minister for Defence for an chat with Michael Dell to try and save the jobs instead of maybe, just maybe, making the country competitive again by lowering taxes and increasing incentives for multinationals. Dell wages weren't affected by the minimum wage and aren't bothered by unions so I have no idea why they couldn't have just suggested a pay cut rather than blanket move. While I realise we don't exactly have cash on the hip, it will pay off it the long run.

The health service always has been, and remains, a complete and utter shambles. 'Nuff said.

Shall I go on?... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

iMax wrote: »
    Nobody voted Brian Cowen in as Taoiseach.

Nobody voted for Bertie Ahern either. That's not how it works. TDs elect Taoiseach.

And to be honest, is it that surprising that Cowen ended it up as Taoiseach, given how dirty Bertie looked enough before the last election?
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the President is a puppet(or muppet if you prefer) she will never get off of her ass because she is quite happy to sit in the Aras and watch the city crumble because it's all expenses paid for her and it dosen't effect her

She doesn't have power to do anything. She can only dissolve the Daíl on the Taoiseach's request.

If you want the government gone, just wait until the next Budget-esque fiasco. Another fúck up of that size and they can't stay (certainly the Independents and the Greens will leave). And given the way they've been going in the last year, that incident can't be too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

The budget for s atrat had more holes in it that swiss cheese. They put up taxi in the most roundabout way, adding income levies and reducing wages (or planning to) instead of just raising income tax like normal people.

They put up VAT in a time when the economy need stimulus instead of giving people reasons NOT to speand money. If more people had bought Dell computers 1,900 people would still have jobs.

They send the Tániste and Minister for Defence for an chat with Michael Dell to try and save the jobs instead of maybe, just maybe, making the country competitive again by lowering taxes and increasing incentives for multinationals. Dell wages weren't affected by the minimum wage and aren't bothered by unions so I have no idea why they coudln;t have just suggested a pay cut rather than blanket move. While I realise we don't exactly have cash on the hip, it will pay off it the long run.

The health service always has been, and remains, a complete and utter shambles. 'Nuff said.

Shall I go on?... ;)

With the vat, do you think people have the money to spend with everything that is going on? Regardless of putting it up or down, do people have the money to spend?
    Did Dell leave Ireland because of the government???
    The higher income levy is implemented on anybody earning over 100'000. Are you saying that this should have been done by implementing it through the taxes and taxing anybody earning over 36,600 @ 42% instead of the now 40%?

If you wouldn't mind, please do go on.... Im curious what people are thinking... ;)

Tom65 wrote: »
    Nobody voted for Bertie Ahern either. That's not how it works. TDs elect Taoiseach

So nobody votes for a TD based at least in part on who the leader of their party is? Pffft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Here's someone who is walking the walk instead of talking the talk...

http://www.unitedminds.ie/

He has my vote, that's for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

The budget for start had more holes in it that swiss cheese. They put up taxi in the most roundabout way, adding income levies and reducing wages (or planning to) instead of just raising income tax like normal people.

They put up VAT in a time when the economy needs stimulus instead of giving people reasons NOT to speand money. If more people had bought Dell computers 1,900 people would still have jobs.

They send the Tániste and Minister for Defence for an chat with Michael Dell to try and save the jobs instead of maybe, just maybe, making the country competitive again by lowering taxes and increasing incentives for multinationals. Dell wages weren't affected by the minimum wage and aren't bothered by unions so I have no idea why they couldn't have just suggested a pay cut rather than blanket move. While I realise we don't exactly have cash on the hip, it will pay off it the long run.

Shall I go on?... ;)

All the stuff you mention here is what happened after the bust began. The major mistakes had already been made while Bertie was at the helm.

With the vat, do you think people have the money to spend with everything that is going on? Regardless of putting it up or down, do people have the money to spend?

The economy works because people spend money every day, but putting VAT down a bit (as was done in the UK), consumer and economic activity is increased. In the long run this results in a greater return than leaving things as they are, and it bolsters businesses and the economy. Theroetically, anyway.
    Did Dell leave Ireland because of the government???

Dell will be leaving Ireland (in part) because they feel it will be more profitable to build the computers in Poland. What Ireland needed to do was compete with what the polish are offering and that is in the hands of the government.

Look at it this way, 1,900 people claiming the dole costs €380,000 a week before factoring in their rent allowance, increases for children, wives, husbands, medical bills etc. Factor in the 4 support jobs for each of the Dell jobs lost at yo're looking at a possible cost of €2-3million a WEEK to the exchequer and that's before you look at the economic impact.

A few million in extra grants and investment in rail links, road links and maybe a drop in taxes may have made Dell stay. Over the course of a single year that would have saved €100-150 million. Again, cheaper in the long run.

This government is looking for quick fixes and simple refuses to plan ahead.
    The higher income levy is implemented on anybody earning over 100'000.Are you saying that this should have been done by implementing it through the taxes and taxing anybody earning over 36,600 @ 42% instead of the now 40%?

The government in their wisdom consider €15,000 enough for one person to live on. Given that, I think 2% higher taxes compensate for by the lower VAT rates would have a low impact on people earning that sort of money. People will understand that the country is in need of extra funds and that 2% tighter for a couple of years is just going to have to happen. Thing is, it's more like 0.5-1.0% if you factor in the VAT they'll save.

People are more likely to notice VAT soming off the till that coming off their income tax, meaning they wont spend enough of their disposable income over a 3%-5% difference. While this is a good thing in one sense, the economy will only get worse without investment. It's all about balancing the finances and though that's difficult, the government should be up to the job.
    If you wouldn't mind, please do go on.... Im curious what people are thinking... ;)

Some exaplmes that spring to mind include the €200 parking tax. Blanket intorduction of this is a stupid, moronic idea. Some people need to use their car to get to work. Introducing in in areas where there is regular public transport, and quadrupling it, though would be a great way to do it. Charging lazy peopl for colgging the streets works, because the ones that do it have money to burn. That and it's very satisfying :)

Another one is Metro North/Luas etc which are taking about 10 years to even get onto the drawing board. Other countries have them designed, built, opened and upgraded by the time one of our state architects on €500,000 a year even bother his lazy ass to pick up a pen.

Now, satisfied? Because any more I think boards.ie would have to start billing me for the bandwidth.
    All the stuff you mention here is what happened after the bust began. The major mistakes had already been made while Bertie was at the helm.

Granted. But I reckon I've addressed that. At the time I didn't like the look of Enda Kenny. I've put it down to inexperience and yes, maybe naiveity. But it's in the past and doesn't chnage my opinions now, in the present -which let's face it is what's important. No point living in 2007.

*Gasps for air

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The major mistakes had already been made while Bertie was at the helm.
    That is so true. FF's only policy seems to have been tell the idiots electorate whatever and spend waste whatever it takes to stay in power.:(

Advertisement