Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website development

Options
  • 08-01-2009 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

what is the most popular language or application for developing websites now?

I'm aware MYSQL is the preferred backend for websites, what's the most popular frontend technology.

I'm asking because I'm considering cross-skilling.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

PHP is the most popular scripting language. LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) is the most popular development environment and, properly learned, is very versatile and robust. On the front end, you should learn XHTML, CSS and DOMScript/JavaScript as well as AJAX to tie the client side with the server. With all these, you have a broad skill set and should be able to develop some pretty sophisticated Web apps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Don't mean to be patronising, but just to clarify "frontend"

Database Layer : MySQL
    plus feeds from other sites via XML

Application Layer : PHP

Base Presentation Layer : XHTML + CSS

Interactivity Presentation Layer : jQuery (advanced JavaScript with AJAX technology)

Strictly speaking, only the last 2 are "frontend".....I think your query is actually referring to PHP, but that's server-side and is therefore considered "backend".

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Don't mean to be patronising

What Liam said. Very difficult to split technologies into front end and backend. It's worth doing a little research into Web development to try and section it into all its various components. The paradigm for Web development is actually a lot easier than it seems but the learning curve is steep enough, particularly if you plan on doing it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

What Liam said. Very difficult to split technologies into front end and backend. It's worth doing a little research into Web development to try and section it into all its various components. The paradigm for Web development is actually a lot easier than it seems but the learning curve is steep enough, particularly if you plan on doing it yourself.

web design used to be easy before this web 2.0 crap came along :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

towel401 wrote: »

Really ??? Dare I mention.....:eek:......"Netscape" ?

Apparently if you say it 3 times before going to sleep it arrives in the night to haunt you..... :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Liam Byrne wrote: »

Apparently if you say it 3 times before going to sleep it arrives in the night to haunt you..... :D

i'm gonna try that tonight

towel401 wrote: »

It's certainly made development more complex. OOP methodologies and MVC development make it a lot more regimented, structured and demanding to learn but, once you get your head around the basics, it makes life a whole lot easier to develop sites and applications on an ongoing basis.

Advertisement