Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€9,990 car for €5,000

Options
  • 08-01-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I have a short list of average no fancy stuff 02 cars around the €9,990 or thereabouts mark.

If I phone up a few of these sellers, most of whom are dealers and offer €5,000, am I likely to get laughed at? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Yes, but if you go and waive your chequebook in front of them you might get some response.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

i agree. face to face is a lot better.
    if you would let it go for 5k i might take it right now, but for 6k i have to come back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Ah, even if I say I'll be paying cash?
    It could be difficult for me to get to see the car. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

I'm thinking about doing the same... Car I really want is going for 9ish, thinking about offering 5-6k cash and seeing what happens.. Will try and get down to the dealership tommorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 51,250 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

kleefarr wrote: »
    Ah, even if I say I'll be paying cash?
    It could be difficult for me to get to see the car. :(

Bargins very rarely fall on your lap. If you want to save €4k on the asking price then you will at the very least have to try and make the effort to negotiate in person. I'm afraid dealers will not take seriously armchair shoppers.

Once you are there in front of them it also depends on what type of car you are interested in and how keen they are to sell it. In other words if it is an unpopular car like a large engined or a high mileage car then you are in a greater position to offer a lower price as demand is non existant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

What are the cars on your list ?

If you want something very popular eg Focus or Corolla then I can't see them halving their prices, unless they are over-inflated anyway ? Why would a seller ask for 9900 if willing to take 5000 - asking 9900 will just scare customers away.

10k asking price for what you describe as "no fancy stuff" cars ... sounds like a lot to me. Depends on what you are looking at, but I'd expect a 04-05 "ordinary" car for that money.

Honda CR-Vs and Accords.

I suppose now I've mentioned those the prices will go up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭romperstomper

if u can get '05 accords for 9K, i'll buy one off you right now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

if u can get '05 accords for 9K, i'll buy one off you right now

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/2.2-i-CT/200850191156053/advert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭skibum

ClioV6 wrote: »

Just had a quick look at that ad and found: "very high spec,cheap car,uk reg,or ?12650 inc vrt "

• Advertisement

ClioV6 wrote: »

UK reg. ;)

Ones I was looking for were coming in around '02.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I replied 2 minutes after..don't expect miracles :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

If a car is around €6,000 (I'm looking at '02 Yaris') and I offer €5,000 I shouldn't get mocked and thrown out of the showroom should I?
    Also; do these bargains apply to 'I have a pocket full of cash, here it is right now' situations because I think I'd rather sleep on it and come back the next day for my bargain.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,002 ✭✭✭✭L1011

5k for a car advertised at 6k is a perfectly respectable first offer; to be honest you could offer lower...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

If your looking to buy a car in these rather unusual times, heres my 2 cents: When considering what to offer someone for a car do this: Think of a price that is WAY too low to be even considered and then offer something even LOWER than that!! Let them laugh and when they do laugh right back and keep on laughing as you walk away. Your the boss here not him, offering 5k for a 6k car? offer him 2!
    The market is f****d!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

pipsqueak wrote: »
    If your looking to buy a car in these rather unusual times, heres my 2 cents: When considering what to offer someone for a car do this: Think of a price that is WAY too low to be even considered and then offer something even LOWER than that!! Let them laugh and when they do laugh right back and keep on laughing as you walk away. Your the boss here not him, offering 5k for a 6k car? offer him 2!
    The market is f****d!
    If you don't mind my asking, what is this supposed to achieve?

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you don't mind my asking, what is this supposed to achieve?

i do mind

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

i do mind
    OK, pipsqueak, i'll tell you - your suggestion would achieve nothing more than to make you look like a fool.

Anan1 wrote: »
    OK, pipsqueak, i'll tell you - your suggestion would achieve nothing more than to make you look like a fool.

thank you

• Advertisement

The market is f****d!

Good luck in ever finding a car with that attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I just bought a Peugot 406, reg 00, 18 months nct left, taxed, full service history 2l diesel (brilliant on fuel) 124,000 on clock. Its as good as new, 1 previous owner, drives like a cloud........ 1,000 euro. Pity to the fools who buy the prestigue cars thinking their getting a deal... as the song goes '...we're on the one road, singing the one song....' lolol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jobucks

before Xmas bought myself a '05 nissan micra new model for 5.5k, 27k on the clock full service history NCT not due till next year and cheap to tax. Shopped around and travelled up the country to get it, saved myself approx 4k on cars of the same spec and mileage I had seen locally in Cork. Its always worth offering a low price first, if the dealer really wants to sell he will negotiate and will not let you walk out the door.
    I would go in person though not over the phone, if you can show him cash you'll get yourself a nice deal, most dealers and private sellers are going to have huge trouble selling cars in this climate and would be happy to come down in price rather than have it sitting there depreciating in value. My two cents.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

A colleague at work got a car for about €12k that was priced at about €17-18.

It was in a car auction in one of the big motor dealers in Galway. Basically they need to get rid of all old stock....

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Dopey

thank you

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

The market is f****d!

Really sorry but that doesnt work. Car salesmen are human and if you act like a pr**k then you will probably get treated like a pr**k. By all means make a low offer. If you are like that now what are you gonna be like when something goes wrong. Salesmen do walk away you know. Blowing smoke up a salesman behind tends to work. Your route usually ends up with you walking away from what is actually a good deal but you didnt see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Too true Saab Ed - also don't be fooled into thinking cash will get you a better discount (unless it's on some dog he's been trying to shift for 2 years!) - dealers make more money if they finance a car they get commission from the finance houses mind you it's a lot harder to get these days:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Caderyn wrote: »
    If a car is around €6,000 (I'm looking at '02 Yaris') and I offer €5,000 I shouldn't get mocked and thrown out of the showroom should I?
    Also; do these bargains apply to 'I have a pocket full of cash, here it is right now' situations because I think I'd rather sleep on it and come back the next day for my bargain.. :confused:

My advice-
    Step 1- find the car you like
    Step 2- Decide you want to buy it (either then or sleep on it)
    Step 3- When full decision this car is for you -go back and Bargain hard
    Step 4- if 'mocked', treat it as a sales tactic and either stand your ground and bargain harder or start to walk away - from this you will probably gain some insight as to how willing the salesperson is prepared to go in order to sell you the car.
    It is either a very brave or very foolish salesperson in todays climate who will 'throw you out of their showroom'

PS- don't mean to suggest you put in a derisory offer like 2K but only move to bargaining when you're mentally ready- if that means sleeping on it overnight first, then all the better- gives you time to reflect on what price you would like to pay Vs what price you won't go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

Business cards always help if they say no. 2 weeks later you might get a call telling you it's still available at the price you wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Dont get caught up on the asking price, what you want to do is check out what the market value is.Go to carzone find 10 of the equivilent lowest priced cars, get and average price. Thats should be your target.

When i say equivilent, i dont mean just model & year.Simlar mileage,Condition,Nct, Warranty, Terms.

In all honesty if you come into me and offer me 5k for a 9k car.All i will do is say "GOODBYE"

Advertisement